12

THE NEXT DAY I found myself in the library flying through books after finishing my ridiculous duties Eeira assigned. I was first met with the horrible seamstress to pick designs for my new queenly gowns, as well as designing my own royal crest.

Father had never cared to have a symbol for the family linneage, but Eeira insisted it would help boost my power in the eyes of my people. The trouble was I had no idea what to make it of. I wanted something that my mother and father would have been proud of and what my sisters would have liked, but I never knew their thoughts or tastes. How could I choose something so permanent in their absenses?

After staring at a blank piece of paper and quill for longer than anyone probably ever had, Eeira shelved it for later and then it was on to the subject of getting my subjects to love me again. That though I knew was very unlikely to happen unless I brought them Sylvi's head, also a goal far from my current reach.

There was discussion of a hearing, a visit to the village itself--which Eeira heavily declined--and even a ball in their honor to show my subjects that I cared for them, but all had the possibility of more riot.

After draining myself enough with the stress, I escaped to the library and locked myself inside for the remainder of the day. There I went back through all of the books I had covered as well as the ones I hadn't, trying to find anything to go against Sylvi. I even attempted to flip through my grandmother's book of visions and dreamwalking that I hadn't touched since seeing the image of Calder prisoner in Sylvi's dungeon.

It had been under my bed since then and I had brought it with me to the library, though at first I was scared to even press one finger to its binding. I couldn't bear another sight of Calder like that and not being able to do anything about it. But as luck--and a little bit of sadness at the same time--would have it, nothing happened when I grasped it. I didn't know if that was just a fluke or if that was because there was nothing to see. Because Calder was already dead. . .

I mentally shoved the thought from my mind. No. That wasn't the reason. Calder was not dead. I wouldn't even allow myself to fathom the possibility. He couldn't die. Not Calder.

Even so after I touched the book, I couldn't bring myself to open it. It sat on the table away from all of the other books as if secluding itself, and stared at me. Every now and then I'd glance over at it as I rested my face on my hand reading another book.

"Stop taunting me you damn book," I'd mumble to it and then immediately feel stupid afterwards for actually thinking it was real and could hear me. Crazier things had happened since the near five months I'd been in this world. Time moved so differently here I couldn't believe Calder had already been under Sylvi's clutches for almost 2 of those months.

After the evening sun had broke through the tall windows and I'd gotten through so many books that my eyes felt like they were made of heavy stone, an echoed knock came to the library door. I stretched myself and went down the staircase to open it, until I hesitated. If it was Eeira I certainly didn't want to see her, and if it was the Clan or Bryndis just the same. I didn't want to be annoyed and haggered right now.

"Before I open this door, declare who you are to your queen," I said through the wood, trying to sound powerful but feeling stupid.

"Just a raven gently rapping at your chamber door, My Lady," Thorne spoke from the other side, his voice clearly showing his cheeky amusement.

I crossed my arms over my chest and played along. "I've never liked poetry, try better."

"Come on, don't leave me pondering weak and weary out here. Let me in."