18

A FEW DAYS PASSED and finally Calder was starting to physically recover

A FEW DAYS PASSED and finally Calder was starting to physically recover. He was still bruised and scratched pretty much everywhere, and he continued being wrapped up with the medicinal bandages as his burns and open wounds were still healing. His mind was what worried me though. He was starting to slowly get his old self back, being the strong, warm person I had grown to love, but yet still there was something off.

He was distant, quiet, much like the Calder I first met. I would be talking to him like we used to, and then he would just shut down on me and stare off like he was in another world. He would still hold me and stroke my hands or face, but his eyes said it all. The same Calder who left from that battlefield was not the same man that returned to me. Not yet.

I woke up earlier than normal so I could get a headstart on Eeira's duties and then give the rest of my day to Calder. The healer had said that he would need a small amount of physical rehabilitation for his leg, because the muscle would be weak from now on with the injury he sustained. Nothing major, just strength training, but still it worried me not only that Calder would reject it, but that it would shake his confidence having to do the therapy.

He was so stubborn headed not wanting anyone's help, but I couldn't say much regarding it because I was the same way. The therapy would help his leg if he accepted it, I was sure of that. But I just didn't know what was going to help his PTSD.

I rushed into my duties like a time bomb was strapped to my chest, finishing the food decisions, cleaning, and maid orders within record time. Calder was able to take solid food now, as little as he would eat, so I brought some to him on my way to his room. When I walked in I was surprised to see him standing, dressing for the day in his armor. I hadn't told him yet of his position being given to Thorne, and I mentally slapped myself. The news now was going to bite harder than if I just had given it to him when he arrived.

"What are you doing, Mr.?" I asked him with a smirk as I walked over and set his tray down on the bed. "You shouldn't be returning to knighting just yet. Not until the healer and I approve you."

"I've been in that damn bed for four days, if I can't go on patrol I'm at least getting out of this room," he replied, clasping his cloak on.

"You have rehabilitation today for your leg," I reminded him, "You can't do that in your armor. Sit down, eat, get your strength up for the day. Go to your therapy and then we'll talk about. . .some things."

His head turned to me, eyes that were still gray going up and down me with a questionably uneasy look. "What things?"

I opened my mouth and then quickly closed it, not sure what to even say. How would I go about this? Would he be angry?