Chapter 6

"Maddie I'm so sorry about what happened with Aubrey this morning" Laila hugged me tight as she stroked my hair comfortingly and Ethan gripped onto my hand.  Mason smiled at me, his eyebrows furrowed, shaking his head. We were all sat in our usual positions around the usual flower bed that we planted flowers in nearly everyday as the sun shone down, making everything look brighter and making us all feel hotter.

"If only I'd been there to stop her or distract her or something" Mason muttered to himself.

"Mason please don't beat yourself up about it, let's just focus on ignoring Aubrey from now on"  I threw him the scrunched up note to which he read out loud and nodded in agreement along with Laila and Ethan.

Ethan and I hadn't spoken much since being in the toilets. I keep thinking that maybe he thinks I don't like him? Maybe when I turned my head in embarrassment he thought I wanted to get away from him? I keep noticing him looking at me but when I look at him he looks away. I should talk to him later.

"So Ethan hows your morning been? You didn't meet up with us to collect the flowers" Laila asked him as she planted a ruby red rose in the flower bed. Of course, I knew full well where he was.

"Well I was helping to clean Mads up. It was acrylic paint, a pain to get off" Ethan blushed and Laila looked at Mason grinning. I avoided eye contact and looked at my hands.

"Hey Maddie, we need to get some more, um, flowers so would you come with me?" Laila jumped up and without waiting on a reply, began to push me down the beautiful, long, winding path and towards the neatly cut hedges round the side of the building.

"Maddie! Ethan totally likes you!" She crouched down in front of me and excitedly bounced up and down. My eyes widened immediately followed by my face scrunching in confusion.

"No he doesn't, why would he like me of all people?" I wrote out and looked back at her, my hand slightly shaking. I've never really spoken to a boy before Ethan, my mum has kept me on a very tight leash.

"Can't you see? He's the only one that calls you 'Mads' and he cleaned you up after the paint incident, he always sits next to you when we are planting, the way he looks at you; should I go on?" She grabbed my hand and smiled at me. I smiled back trying to process it, does he really like me?

"We'd better be getting back, the boys will be wondering where we are" Laila began to push me round the corner slowly when I instantly saw a bright red blob of colour. Aubrey. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. She's everywhere I go.

"Oh my god" Laila gasped in an attempt to push me back around the corner. But it was too late. I saw. Beneath Aubrey and against the wall was the one and only Ethan. His lips were pressed against hers and his hands were placed comfortably on her hips. My heart felt as if it had broken into millions of pieces. I guess what Laila told me really isn't true.

"Oh my god, Maddie! I'm so so sorry! I didn't think- I thought he- no he definitely- he likes you!" Laila was just as confused as me. As Laila was freaking out, I just sat there. Numb. Numb to the pain. No matter how much my body ached, I was used to it.

"Laila it's fine, you were being my best friend. He's the one who should be to blame" I handed her the note keeping an expressionless and emotionless look on my face. She hugged me tightly, like she had earlier in the afternoon. I hate the feeling though, being pitied. Pity and sympathy. I hate it. It's what I've had my whole life.

"Please just take me back to the flower bed" I gave Laila my note and she let go and pushed me back. Past Ethan and Aubrey making out against the wall.
———————-
- 699 words