-14-

Having Ellie with us made all of the usual excitement of being on tour that much more intense. It was her I sang to at every performance, her face I pictured each time I smiled for a camera, and her I went home with each night, working off my post-concert adrenaline as I lost myself in her warm body.

After the last show of the tour, Kirstie and Jeremy flew to Texas to visit her family, while the others headed back to LA. Ellie and I were staying in Europe for a couple extra days to visit Paris, and we were both excited to be taking the Eurostar train for the first time. We'd sent our large suitcases back to the States with our friends, so we were able to wheel our small cases onto the train with ease.

We settled into our seats and as the train started to move, Ellie was literally bouncing in her seat. "Honey, we're only going to be there for two days," I laughed, reading over her wish list. "If we go to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the Palace of Versailles, plus take in some of the jazz festival, we'll be lucky if there's any time left for lunch let alone two more museums."

She pouted, then wrapped her arms around me and tilted her face up to kiss my chin. "I guess you'll just have to bring me back to Paris again sometime."

I leaned in for a more thorough kiss. "Your wish is my command."

Cuddling together and looking out the window as the scenery flew by, I felt as satisfied as I ever had. I was almost afraid to think about how perfect everything was, worried that sooner or later something would come along to spoil our happiness. Ellie looked up and ran a hand over my furrowed brow.

"Why so serious, love?"

"Do you ever feel like things are too good? Like statistically speaking we're due for something really awful to happen?"

"Well I hadn't, but now I will!" she glowered at me. She took my hands and looked at me with a comforting expression. "Avi, I don't think there's any point in expecting life to be perfect, or in worrying about what's around the next corner. Statistically speaking, as you say, we are going to have fights, and things will go wrong, and bad menstrual cramps will ruin an otherwise wonderful evening. But as long as you love me, I promise to love you back and we'll get through it!"

I laughed and kissed the top of her hair. "Just to be clear, it would be you getting the cramps, right?"

"I’m afraid so. I'm just hoping they'll hold off until after our trip. I've read all the tour guides and I'm pretty sure they guarantee you won't get your period while on a romantic vacation in Paris."

~~

Paris was everything the guidebooks promised and more – I'd been there a couple of times on tours, but seeing it with Ellie was like seeing it for the first time. We managed to squeeze in most of her wish-list and still enjoy some quiet time together, and more delicious food than I thought I could hold.

On our last night in Paris, we headed down to the Parc Floral de Paris to see a jazz a cappella group that I'd been stalking on YouTube ever since they won a European Sing-Off-type competition.

As they wrapped up their set, we headed towards the stage to see if I could grab a word with them. Walking across the lawn, I jumped as Ellie shouted: "Oh my god, Adam! What are you doing here?"

I turned to see a tall, good looking guy in a blue button-down shirt reach out and hug my girlfriend. I automatically flexed my chest muscles and stretched to my full height.

She looked a little flustered as she introduced us. "Adam, I want you to meet my boyfriend, Avi."

"I know who you are," Adam said, smiling broadly and shaking my hand firmly, his other hand still resting on Ellie's arm. "You guys are incredible, I'm a big fan. I'm with the Princeton Footnotes, but we were sent home long before you guys made your appearance in Season 4."