Chapter 1

DRIVING MISS YIN

Chapter One
(First Impressions)

My name is Feng Mei Zuo, F4's most outstanding member, the handsomest of them all (DO NOT CONTRADICT ME), and I have an incredible memory. Since my family's business is designing exhibitions and holding salons, I've grown to love literature and art. I have a great sense of humor and I'm a very good listener. Any one can chat me up about any topic under the sun. I'm also the most levelheaded among my best friends.

As for my love life, I consider myself a ladies man. I don't really have a serious girlfriend. Why commit to one when I can date lots of women. To be exact, older women. I prefer older women because they are more sophisticated and aren't too clingy. And maybe because I grew up with an immature and childish mother.

And speaking of my mother, she's the reason why I'm waiting here outside a girl's house. I'm here because my mother tricked me into attending a matchmaking event. I'm here because my mother scheduled a date already without my consent. I'm here because now I have no choice but to pick up and go out on a date with this girl named Yin Xiao Qiao. If I could have it my own way, I wouldn't be here now. I'm rather enjoying my bachelor life, thank you very much.

It's been five minutes since I've been waiting. This girl is already making me mad than I already am. Yin Xiao Qiao. This girl must be dumb to allow her parents to let her participate in a matchmaking event. Seriously, are there girls who still agree with this? And why do parents still torment their children with arranged marriages? Hello????? We are in the twenty-first century already. We should be allowed to choose whom we love, whom we want to marry and when we want to marry.

I thought I was the luckiest of them all. I thought I'd be spared of all this family drama. I guess I was wrong.

So as you probably know, two of my best friends have found their 'the one.' Dao Ming Si is happily married to Dong Shan Cai. And they're expecting their first baby. My very best friend and wing man, Xi Men Yan, knocked up Shan Cai's best friend - Jiang Xiao You. They have a son named Xiao Tian and are getting married soon after years of denying their feelings for each other. Hua Ze Lei, the weirdest of us all, has sworn off love. He's contented being single and alone. No one can ever replace Teng Tang Jing in his heart. Though, he almost fell in love with Shan Cai at one time. But they're more like soulmates.

And me? I had set my mind and my heart to be a dashing and super rich bachelor until I die. Then Xi Men broke our pact when he found out about Xiao Tian. So I guess I'm single and ready to mingle. I too want to meet my 'the one' and spend the rest of my life with her. I really thought my 'the one' was Zhuo Caina. I met her some years ago when Shan Cai entered in a cooking competition. It was love at first sight for me. And Mei Zuo does not fall in love at first sight that easily. Her beauty, her confidence and her skills won me over. I accidentally bumped into her days after the competition and we had a drink. It took a few weeks before I could begin pursuing her. And when I did, an obstacle appeared in the name of Terence aka Ye Mingchuan, world famous and award winning architect. I gave my best effort to win Caina-jiejie's heart but her heart had long been owned by this Terence guy. I gave her up because I wanted her to be happy. And I knew she would be most happy being with him. I broke my own record. For the very first time, I cried over a woman. For the very first time I was unable to move on. It took years before I could get Caina out of my heart, out of my head. So that's about me.

I'm really getting impatient waiting for my date. What could take her this long?
Suddenly the gate opened and two ladies were walking towards me. One older, one younger. It must be her mother. I got out of the car to greet them.

"Wei, ni hao Auntie."
"Mei Zuo!" Auntie embraced me. "You're all grown up now. I can't believe you're this tall."
"Xie xie Auntie." I replied.
"Sorry we took so long to come out." Yin Xiao Qiao spoke. "My mother wouldn't let me get out until I changed my clothes."

I gave her a head to toe glance and saw that she was wearing knee-length red skirt and a white long sleeved turtleneck. It wasn't blah but it wasn't over the top either. She looked nice actually. And her medium length brown hair was let down unlike our first encounter which she wore in a bun. She smells nice too.

Oh no! What am I saying?! Mei Zuo, get a grip.

"You look nice." I managed to respond.
"Thanks." She said.
"Well, you two are already running late with your date. You two go on and have fun." Her mother shoved us out.
We got inside my car and bade goodbye to her mother.
I forgot to tell you that my mother also arranged dinner reservations for us. So I drove us to the restaurant. Mind you, my mother is really sparing nothing. The restaurant she got reservations for us is a four-star Michelin and I heard it takes months and even a year before one could book a table here. I guess with our connections and my mother's determination and stubbornness she can get what she wants that easily.

On the way to the restaurant, I tried to make small talk with Xiao Qiao. She's quite shy and I can feel she's nervous. So I guess she doesn't want being set up either.

When we arrived, we were immediately directed to our table. It was by the window and it really has a romantic vibe going on. I let her pick what she want on the menu while I ordered for myself and something we two can share. I also included a bottle of their finest wine. My mother will berate me when I get home if I didn't make our dinner date special.

As soon as the waiter left us, we were in an uncomfortable silence. I'm a funny and witty guy but for once I couldn't deliver a line that's both funny and witty. Is this sign of aging already? I'm still under thirty years old though so I'm still quite young. Also, like a good brandy, I get better with age. Shoot! I better start saying something before I'll kill myself to death.

"Xiao Qiao is it?" I started.
"Yes."
"I'm pleased to meet you. Feng Mei Zuo." I extended my right hand towards her.
"We've met each other already." She said.
My right hand is still outstretched. "I know. But I want to introduce myself to you again."
"Okay," she said shaking my hand. "I'm also pleased to meet you again. I'm Yin Xiao Qiao."
Why am I feeling tingly all of a sudden? I let go of my hand and she looked dismayed. Why would she be dismayed?
"I have to be honest. I know nothing about you." I admitted.
"It's okay." She smiled. "I know a lot about you already."
"Oh really?" I was curious.
"We have a common friend actually."
"Who?"
"Teng Tang Jing."
"Jing?"
She nodded her head. "We were classmates in junior high school before I left and studied in America."

Looks can be deceiving. I thought she'd be younger than me. The fact that she's actually older than me by a few years made me interested with her. I recalled what Xi Men told me about her. "I heard you just finished your degree in music there."
"Yes, I just finished my doctorate degree in music since music is my life's passion."
"Congratulations."
"Thank you."
"Are you staying in Shanghai for good or just a vacation?" I have to ask her this. In case I may reconsider my opinion of her. No use dating her and then she's leaving the country again.
"I'm back for good." She replied.
That was music to my ears. Music to my ears?!
"I've accepted a job at Shanghai Music Conservatory to be their Chief Director." She told me.
"Again, congratulations." This Yin Xiao Qiao was impressing me already.
"Thank you. What about you?" She asked.
"Well, I work at my family's business. I design exhibitions and hold salons. Just this year I've helped organized a lot of recitals and art exhibits all over Shanghai and a few in Beijing too." I said boastfully.
"Impressive."
My heart swelled with joy. My heart swelled with joy?!

Our orders were served and we ate while continuing our conversation onto other topics. Then before we knew it two hours had passed. We've also finished our bottle of wine (I was impressed she liked smoked wine too). I paid our bill while she went to the powder room.

To be honest, I didn't want the evening to end yet. And yes, it's really shocking how my mind and my attitude towards her had changed in just two hours. But what can I say? She was a really impressive woman. And I think I will ask her out for a second date.

I, Feng Mei Zuo, has found 'the one'. (But don't tell my mother about that.)

Excerpt from Deal Chapter 28
© Franzz P. Follow on Instagram @onceinalifetimearc2018
Date written: December 30-31, 2018

Note: I'm incorporating a bit of Mimasaka Akira into my fanfic Mei Zuo.