Chapter 5

DRIVING MISS YIN

Chapter Five

In spite of my busy schedule I still manage to drive Xiao You from home to work and vice versa. I have to say it was a daily routine that I’ve suddenly come to like.

After the wedding there was another gathering with my friends. This one is for Ah Si before he left for London. I didn’t invite Xiao Qiao to this since they hardly knew each other and to avoid being teased by my friends. Since the wedding they’ve teased me nonstop on our group chat.

As promised to Ah Si we would stand in his stead with the Lamaze classes together with Shan Cai. In one of our car rides we talked about this.

“You’re really devoted to your friends.” She told me.
“Yes. They’re my brothers. I’d do anything for them.”
“So you’re not uncomfortable at all attending those Lamaze classes?”
“Maybe at first. But I just think that it’s for educational purposes and possibly for future use.” As I said those, I had hoped she got the hint I just dropped.
She was quiet for a moment. “You’re such a good friend. And a nice guy.” She smiled at me.
“Thank you.” Did she just complimented me? I think she did. Once again, my heart swelled with joy.

But in the next few hours and then days, my heart was not swelling with joy. It was actually feeling something different. Something I had known and felt before. Something not good. Something that reminded me of someone in my past. Someone named Terence. This something was triggered by none other than Lei. All because he and Xiao Qiao have been spending a lot of times together now as they prepare for the benefit music recital. While I am working at the office, the two are practicing their duet. And it was not helping at all that in our car rides they ignored me. Okay, not really ignored but I couldn’t butt in to whatever they were talking about. Aren’t I usually the one who can talk with anyone about anything under the sun? I’m suddenly not pleased that I am sharing my time with Lei. Why am I allowing him to ride with us anyway? He has his own car. He can drive himself to Ah Si’s place. Why must I suffer? Why must I always have to feel so jealous?

Wait!

Me jealous?! Of Lei?!

OH NO! This is not good! I am not Ah Si. Lei isn’t a threat. Isn’t he?

“Hey Lei!” I blurted out loud.
The two stopped talking at once and looked at me.
“Yes?”
“Don’t you have your own car? Why am I driving you too to Ah Si’s house?” I asked with annoyance.
“Mei Zuo,” Lei eyed me, “are you-”
“Don’t.” I cut him off.
“Is there a problem Mei Zuo?” Xiao Qiao inquired.
“No problem.” I said, half smiling.
We drove in silence after that.

Later that night, Lei purposely hitched a ride with Xi Men.

The next day I picked up Xiao Qiao from her house.

“Good morning Mei Zuo.” She greeted me while fastening the seat belt.
“Good morning too.” I said back while driving us out of her neighborhood.
“Are you okay?” She asked.
I nodded. “Hmm.”
“Are you and Lei okay?”
“Yes.” Lei and I weren’t in a fight; I’m not mad at him either. Maybe annoyed.
“Okay.”

I wasn’t particularly chatty that morning for no reason. So we just drove in silence. She said thanks to me as soon as she got out of my car.

At the office, I had several meetings scheduled. And in my annoyance at Lei yesterday, I had forgotten that we had set a lunch date. Good thing my secretary reminded me. I was about to leave the office when Lei himself showed up carrying a take-out brown paper bag.

“You forgot, didn’t you?” He asked, setting the paper bag on my desk.
“Lei, I’m sorry. It was an honest mistake.” I said.
He sat on one of the chairs in front of my desk. “It’s alright.”
“About yesterday…” I began.
“I understand.” He muttered. He had opened his own paper bag and started eating the food he brought.
“Thanks.” I replied. I opened mine and ate as well.
We ate and talked about the recital. I’ve updated him about the new sponsors I’ve gathered as well as informed him that I’ve booked a venue already.

Before he left my office I had to clear up a few things between us though.

“Lei, I really don’t mind you hitching rides with me or that you and Xiao Qiao are getting along well. I was just reminded of someone and it made me jealous.” I explained.
“Mr. Obstacle?”
“Yeah.” I chuckled.
“Don’t worry Mei Zuo. I won’t be an obstacle between you and Xiao Qiao.” He grinned. “I told you I’m just doing you a favor. But if I’ve overstepped you, I’m sorry.”
“Glad you realized that.” I joked while I pulled him in a brotherly hug.
“Anyway, Xiao Qiao and I have to practice two hours a day at SMC.”
I glared at him.
“I’ll put in a good word for you. Don’t worry.” He smiled.
“Make sure that it’ll make me earn good points on her book.” I told him.
“Of course.”
“Thanks.”
“I brought my car. Figured you two would want alone time.”
“Good.” And I gave him two thumbs up.
“Enjoy!” He grinned, walking away.

“You seem to be in a good mood.” Xiao Qiao remarked. I had picked her up from SMC and was on our way to her house.
“Well, I am in a good mood actually.” I replied.
“Does your good mood have anything to do with Lei not with us tonight?” She asked. She’s quite perceptive.
“Maybe.” I grinned.
She laughed. And I love her laugh.
“Wanna have dinner with me now?” I suddenly blurted out.
She stared at me.
“I’m hungry.” I added.
“Sure. Why not.” She answered.

© Franzz P. Follow on Instagram @onceinalifetimearc2018
Date written: January 19-23, 2019