The Other Side {4}

At lunch, I let myself into our room, where Leigh and Nadia were already waiting. I sat on the couch with Nadia, putting my lunch down.

                "Where's Kace?" I asked.

                "He'll be here. We saw him talking to some friends in the hallway," Leigh said. "Also, the teacher said she'd email me back about that meeting after she checked her schedule."

                "That works," I said. "It gives me time to make a presentation for her. Just keep me updated."

                "You got it, boss," she said.

                The door opened and Kace came in, several papers in his hands. He set them down in front of me before taking a seat on the floor.

                "There you go," he said.

                "Thank you," I said, moving the papers so no one would get their lunch on them. "Listen, I want all of you to keep an eye on the junior council, okay? Just make sure they don't make a grab for power or anything. I figure they'll be more of a headache than an actual problem, but let's just be safe."

                "Do you think they'll be voted out next years?" Leigh asked.

                I shrugged. "I don't know. But we'll all be graduated by then, so there's nothing we can do even if they get reelected."

                "Reelected by rigging," Kace grumbled.

                "There's nothing we can do about it now. No one could prove it," I said. "Let's just focus on what we can do. Leigh, can you set up a survey for those senior class shirt designs? I'll scan in the submissions and email them to you tonight. The principal said he wants those available as soon as possible as an incentive to buy the yearbook. It'll be a tie-in deal."

                "Got it," Leigh said.

                We gathered around and began a meeting, going over what needed to be done for the week and what was coming up. We made lists, took notes, and filed away paperwork. I assigned tasks to them and wrote down what I'd need to do, trying to take on the bulk of the work myself so they wouldn't have to.

                By the time lunch was over, we'd had to rapidly eat our food. We left the room and headed to our classes, Kace's mood dropping as we entered the science room. Taliesin was already in there, watching us as we came in and took our seats.

                "We have gym today instead of lab," Kace said.

                "We're just playing speedball, we'll be fine," I assured.

                "I know, but that gives him an excuse to be violent," Kace said.

                "And it'll give the coach an excuse to kick him out," I said.

                Kace sighed, but didn't argue it anymore as our teacher came in and started her lesson. We took notes and handed in our labs when class was over, leaving to head to gym once the bell rang.

                We had gym every other day instead of lab. I enjoyed gym class, especially when the weather was nice and we got to go outside and run the track. I'd always loved to run, that rhythm of my feet hitting the pavement and my heart beating along steadily.

                Unfortunately, we were having gym indoors today. Kace and I went into the locker room and changed into our gym clothes before heading out to the gymnasium and leaning against the wall, waiting for the coach.