The Other Side {6}

"No meeting today," Nadia announced as we sat in the student council room. "We're just going to focus on our homework."

                "Good," Leigh said in relief. "I have an essay to draft and I didn't know if I'd be able to get it done tonight."

                "A break to catch up on work and relax at home is a good idea," Kace said, setting his bag at his feet.

                "I didn't think she'd actually have us go through with homework instead of a meeting," I said. "I left my textbook in my locker."

                "Then go get it. Everyone needs a little break, Gabriel. It's not just you who's getting behind on sleep," Nadia said.

                I felt guilty as I looked at my friends. Sometimes I got so caught up trying to do my work and keep on top of my responsibilities that I didn't always notice what was going on with my friends. It was a horribly bad habit of mine that always made me drown in guilt when I stepped back and realized they were struggling too.

                "A homework period," I agreed, standing up. "I'll go grab my textbook. Take a break from all your duties today, too. Don't even check your emails. It can wait until tomorrow."

                They looked relieved at that, so I left the room to head to my locker. I needed to stop getting so distracted. I needed to pay attention to my friends more. Frustration bubbled in me, because I always told myself I would, but then I always got caught up with all my work again. What a rotten friend.

                When I heard footsteps next to me, I didn't even need to look to know it was Taliesin. He matched his pace to mine as I headed for my locker.

                "You look miserable," he said at last.

                I gestured to him. "Gee, wonder why."

                "Oh, harsh," he said, but he didn't sound particularly offended. "It's rare to see you free of the council room during lunch."

                "I needed to grab something from my locker," I said.

                I stopped at my locker and put my combination in. I dug through my stuff and grabbed two notebooks and a textbook before standing up. I shut my locker and finally looked at Taliesin.

                This close, and finally paying attention, I realized just how bad he looked. There were heavy bags under his eyes, and he looked sickly. He was standing a little oddly, probably trying to relieve some of the pain in his back.

                "Like what you see?" he said.

                "No," I said.

                That earned a surprised burst of laughter from him. "Don't sugarcoat it, sunshine."

                "Have you been sick?" I said.

                His laughter cut off and I could tell by the way he set his shoulders that he was on his guard now. "No. Just trying to readjust to having my schedule changed."

                "That's all?" I said.

                "That's all," he said.

                "Taliesin."

                We both turned to look at the boy coming down the hall. I only knew him because he was notorious for getting in trouble.

                Kayden Sanzone was trouble simply because of his personality. He was confrontational and strong-willed. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind and defend his opinions, which generated a lot of conflict between him and his teachers.