The Other Side {14}

Taliesin wasn't a good man.

               But he wasn't a bad man.

               He was struggling, drowning in the gray area between the two. He did bad things, but he wanted to be a good person. He screwed up, but he took responsibility for it and tried to make himself better.

               What I did with that information was my choice.

               I pulled into his driveway, staring at his house as I shut my car off. So much of my life spent there. I could remember when they kept the family computer in one of the small hallways, and Taliesin and I would sit at a bench together and play games. They were always educational; his mom wouldn't buy anything else for him. But we'd have so much fun, two little kids giggling together.

               I could remember playing on the rocking chair in his basement. We'd pull it all the way to the ground and let it go, and whoever was sitting on it was usually flung forward right off it. Too young to realize how dangerous it was, we'd laugh and laugh until his dad caught us doing it and took the rocking chair away.

               I shook myself a little and got out of my car, heading up to the front door. I hadn't seen his parents in a while, but his mom's car was in the driveway, so this was probably going to be awkward.

               Awkward or not, I rang the doorbell and waited, trying to hide how nervous I was. This used to be a second home. Being so nervous standing at the doorway felt strange. I used to just let myself into the house.

               But now, Mrs. Torres answered the door. She looked shocked to see me standing there, but quickly composed herself.

               "Hi, Gabriel," she greeted.

               "Hi, Mrs. Torres. Is Taliesin home?" I asked.

               "He is. Come on in," she said, stepping aside.

               I took my shoes off and followed her down to the living room. As we rounded the corner into it, I frowned.

               Taliesin was fast asleep on the couch, covered by a weighted blanket. Mrs. Torres crossed her arms and glanced at me.

               "Can I get you a drink, Gabriel? I'll wake him in a few minutes," she said.

               "Yea, that's fine. Let him sleep," I said.

               We went out to the kitchen and I sat at the table. Mrs. Torres poured us each a glass of lemonade and sat across from me.

               "Is he in trouble?" she asked. "Don't sugarcoat it, either. I know my son."

               "He's not in trouble," I assured her.

               "Well, there's something new and pleasant," she said. She sighed and leaned back in her chair. "He told me what he did to you and his other friends, Gabriel."

               "Yea, well, we're working on that," I said, unable to meet her eyes.

               "You were always good for him. But if you want to walk away, no one would hold it against you," she said. "I love my son, but he screwed up."

               "He did," I agreed. "I just...need to talk to him. But I can wait until school. I know he needs sleep," I said.

               The door opened and Mrs. Torres's expression tightened a little. "No need. He'll be up soon."