The Other Side {9}

"You look better today," mom said as I came downstairs.

                She'd come into my room as it got later and forced me to go to bed, checking on me a few times before I finally fell asleep. I was glad she was looking out for me, but was praying this didn't become a habit. Sometimes I had to stay up late to finish up work.

                "I feel better," I said, which was true. The headache that had been eating at me yesterday was gone, though I still felt a sluggish tiredness lurking in my mind. It would take a few days of a fairly steady sleep routine to get myself to feel rested.

                "Here," mom said, setting down a plate with eggs, toast, and bacon. "Eat all of it. I don't like wasting food."

                I sat down after checking the time, and dug in. Mom held a cup of coffee in her hands and leaned against the counter, watching me.

                "What?" I said.

                She shook her head. "Nothing. Just...It's high school, Gabriel. If you burn out now, what does that leave for your future? Learn to take it easy sometimes."          

                "Sure, mom. I'll slack off and play video games at some point," I said.

                "You stress me out, Gabriel Giovanni," she said with a sigh. "Do you want any coffee? I'll put some in a travel mug."

                "No thanks," I said.

                "More for me. I've got to go make sure your father didn't fall asleep in the shower. Drive safe," she said, squeezing my shoulder as she moved past me and left the kitchen.

                I finished eating and grabbed my bag, leaving for school. When I got there, I went instead and started for the senior council room.

                But when I got there, my mood sank a little. Marshall stood waiting with Taliesin and Kayden, noticing me as I approached.

                "This isn't your room, and they're not student council," I said. "So unless you're here to ask me how I slept, please go bother someone else."

                "We need to talk, Gabriel. If we could just sit down for a few minutes..." Marshall started.

                "Wimp," Kayden grumbled.

                Marshall glared down at the floor a little. "We're going to talk, Gabriel."

                "If we're going to talk, it's going to be you and me. Not them," I said.

                "I'm here to give you a drink, sunshine," Taliesin said, holding up his thermal bottle. "Unless you'd rather I give it to Bitchy Betty over here."

                "I hope you're talking about Marshall," Kayden said.

                "I am absolutely talking about you, Bitchy Betty," Taliesin said, and let out a mild "Ow" when he was punched in response. "Violence is never the answer."

                I pinched the bridge of my nose. "It's too early for this. Are we talking or not, Marshall?"

                Marshall looked nervously to Taliesin, who just stared blankly back at him. Marshall swallowed and turned his attention back to me, trying to look casual and in control.

                "Yes," he said.

                "He's stands up pretty straight for not having a spine. Like a jellyfish if you impaled it," Kayden said.