Chapter 41

Chapter 41

When Walker's car stopped, Cal began to get an uneasy feeling about his getaway chauffeur. Walker seemed way too willing to help out when a more rational response would have been to report their whereabouts to his superior. And maybe he did. But at the moment, Cal felt like he had been tricked.

Before he had any more time to ponder if bumping into Walker had been fortuitous or staged, both doors to the backseat flung open at once. Cal heard Kelly struggling and shouting at whoever was pulling her out of the car. Cal, more concerned with Kelly's well-being, protested as well. But the blanket wasn't even fully off his head before he felt Walker slide a needle into his neck.

Cal slumped to the floor.

***

Walker and his colleague dragged Cal and Kelly into the same room where Cal had been held less than 24 hours ago. This time, they needed another chair.

"You better hurry," the other man said. "You don't have much time."

Walker didn't say a word. He just kept wrapping the limp bodies of Cal and Kelly to the chairs that were positioned back to back. No need to take any chances by putting them next to each other. Walker's colleague sealed their mouths shut with duct tape.

Walker stood at the doorway and smiled at his good fortune: the pesky reporter who refused to heed his warnings and his sidekick were now his temporary guests. He watched the unsettled dust hang in the air before turning off the light. They would forgive his rude treatment later. They would understand. Everyone understood the importance of protecting the common good. Even meddlesome reporters.

***

Guy was fumbling for his car keys in his briefcase when Sheriff Jones roared into The Register's parking lot and parked at an angle behind Guy. There was no way Guy could maneuver his white 2009 Cadillac CTS Coupe out of his parking space now.

Jones took his time getting out of his car. He didn't appear to be in a hurry. Guy was.

"Hi, Sheriff. What's the meaning of all this?"

"Well, I thought you could tell me, Guy."

"I'm sorry?"

"Where are you going in such a hurry?"

"I think I asked you a question first."

"Are you getting smart with me, Mr. Newspaper Man?"

"Nope. Just wanting to know why you came flying into the parking lot here just to block my car in."

"You've got a busted taillight and I didn't want you to get a ticket."

"A busted tail light?" Guy began to walk around to the back of the car to verify Jones's claim. He didn't see anything that resembled a scratched taillight, much less a busted one. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about this one."

With that statement, Jones pulled his foot back and kicked the left taillight with his boot heel, causing the plastic to crack and splinter.

"You better be careful not to get on the road with that light busted like it is."

Guy couldn't believe what he just witnessed. He had heard from some people in the community that Jones could be ruthless. Hearing about it and watching it happen were two different things. Guy never imagined Jones would abuse his authority to that degree.

"I'd get that fixed if I were you," Jones said, scribbling out a busted tail light warning for Guy.

Guy began to protest.

"Who do you think you-"

"No, no, no, Guy. You know who I am and you know who I think I am-and they are the same person. I'm the same person who can take you to jail for driving with a busted taillight. So, I suggest you get Carson down at the auto parts shop to get you a new one before you get back on the road and I have to take you in."

"Jail? For a busted taillight?"

"I don't make the laws, Guy. I just enforce 'em."

Jones climbed back into his car and rolled down the driver's side window for a parting salvo.

"I'll be watching you, Guy."

Guy looked at the warning ticket in his hand as Jones drove off. There wasn't anything he could do to help Cal and Kelly now-except walk to the auto parts store and pick out a new taillight.

Guy hammered out a short text explaining the reason for his delay and began walking toward Hal's Auto Parts Store one block down from The Register. He knew time was the commodity that mattered most when it came to helping Cal, but Jones had just shortened his supply of it.