Chapter 63

Chapter 63

"Do you think this will work?" Kelly asked Cal.

"I hope so," he said. "It's the best idea that has come to me."

Cal and Kelly went over their own plan as they waited for Mercer to arrive. They trusted him. What other motivation could he have? But Cal was growing up fast. His cub status as a reporter was transitioning to veteran with every twist and turn during his efforts to gather everything he needed to write an accurate story. Cal hoped he was right about Mercer, but he couldn't ignore any inklings that said otherwise. Hopefully, his precautionary measures would be enough, should it come to that.

Cal's heart remained heavy, even as he stole a few glances at Kelly. She was beautiful and he wanted to think about a future with her - but he couldn't. The grief over losing his mentor was too strong, the wound too fresh. Once he did justice for Guy, maybe he could dream of a future with Ms. Mendoza. But for now, there was only one thing he had space in his mind for - catching Gold and telling a story that was so unbelievable Cal scarcely believed it himself. But he knew it was real. People he knew were dead, and he had escaped with his life - so far.

Mercer finally arrived, pulling his squad car to the edge of the designated street curb so Cal and Kelly could get in. They both climbed into the backseat.

***

The two-hour drive back to Statenville was rather uneventful, except for the speed at which it was made. Mercer again offered his condolences to Cal and Kelly over Guy's death. Then Mercer began going over the plan, making sure everyone knew exactly what they were supposed to do.

Mercer explained how he had easily won the trust of Mayor Gold, who became excited when he heard Mercer had captured the pair thanks to a random tip from Salt Lake City. That was far from the truth, but Cal didn't mind. Cal loathed lying and preferred Mercer to do such dirty work. In a short time, Cal knew he was going to have to deceive Gold. But he was confident he could pull it off. This was for Guy.

Ten minutes outside of Statenville, Mercer decided to talk through their plan once more. Cal and Kelly went through it and knew exactly how everything was going to play out. Mercer told them they were both ready. Kelly reached over and squeezed Cal's leg just above his knee.

"You can do this," she said.

"I know I can. I'm going to make Guy proud."

Cal and Kelly both began growing nervous, even though they knew everything they were supposed to do. Cal tried to crack his knuckles, which he found more difficult since he was wearing handcuffs. He took a deep breath in an attempt to remain calm.

Suddenly, Mercer locked all the doors and jerked the steering wheel, making a sharp right turn away from Statenville. The plan had changed.

***

Mercer's plan changed hadn't changed that suddenly. It only changed when he realized that Cal and Kelly knew everything - and there weren't going to be any heroes in their story. This was unfortunate for Cal and Kelly. Instead of helping the reporters out, Mercer was driving them to their death. Not that he was going to kill two innocent people - Mercer knew that Gold wanted to oversee the reporters' deaths himself. Just collateral damage.

Then and only then would Mercer make his own move on Gold. Mercer would be the hero, single-handedly busting the mastermind of the great Northwest drug ring - and a wanted mob hit man. Mercer's reputation and the nobility of the FBI would be held in the highest regard. After all, this was all for the greater good.