Chapter 64

Chapter 64

Mayor Gold positioned his car in the exact spot he had held less than 24 hours ago. Except this time, Gold knew Cal and Kelly would be in the back of Mercer's squad car. Finally, his nightmare would end once the two reporters' dead bodies hit the bottom of Cold River Canyon. The accident awaiting the two reporters was a rock climbing mishap.

The afternoon sun was harsh in the rock faces. Though standing in scorching August heat was a small sacrifice for Gold. He had long since proved his resolve in protecting Statenville and the drug empire he had concocted.

He smiled as he saw Mercer's patrol car swing into view down the winding dusty road leading to the canyon's edge. No vanishing act was necessary - not for him, anyway. Gold's fondness for his family had begun to blur the bigger picture for him. Not that it was a bad thing, but it was definitely a weakness. Gold knew it, too. However, he never played it safe, choosing to prance upon the ledge of danger. It was an exhilarating place to be, though Gold had yet to feel the effects of falling off. He always pushed those thoughts out of his mind. He could always run and re-invent himself. But not this time. He preferred to stand pat and build something that was lasting - yet it wasn't family he valued this deeply.

In a matter of moments, his fortress would become that much more impenetrable.

***

Cal had been hoping that he wasn't about to be led into a trap, but here he was. He didn't even bother protesting to Mercer. Cal knew he had been duped. At least he was prepared for it this time.

Mercer broke the awkward silence.

"So, I guess you've figured out we're not going to Gold's office."

"Yeah, I'm not stupid."

"Says who?" Mercer said, nervously cackling at his one liner. "And, oh, you won't be needing this," Mercer added as he picked up Cal's iPhone off the front seat and whipped it out the window and into the canyon below. "Don't worry, the mayor will let you go look for it in a minute."

Mercer chuckled again. Cal couldn't believe just how dark Mercer really was, how cold and calculating he had become in the past minute. He decided not to react, not to give Mercer the pleasure of knowing he was bothered or scared.

Finally, the car skidded to a stop along the remote dusty road. With the exception of Gold, there was no one around this portion of Cold River Canyon, a spot considered the beginning of the Idaho wilderness area.