Chapter 2

We trotted for a while through an open field, that had different plants and flowers all over the place. The sun made all of the grass a yellowish-green, mixing the colors of the flowers in it, which made a different effect on it. I looked around the area as I looked ahead, seeing the same road that we were traveling on. I sighed as I leaned back against my dad as I spoke. "It's so nice to be out here. Thank you for letting me come along," I said, as I looked back at him. Dad nodded as he spoke. "No problem. I thought you were ready to come along," he said, as I looked back forward. "It's great that she wanted to join us. But we got to be aware that she's human and their enemies out there. It would be trouble if they find out that she's with us," Mitsunari said as dad sighed. "And that'll be the problem. Knowing him," he said, as I looked at dad. "Him?" I asked as dad sighed. "Don't worry about it, Harp. Just an enemy that isn't a good being," he said, as I sighed. "Alright," I said, as I looked ahead of us. I watched as we walked along a pathway that went deeper into the woods. Large trees surrounded us as some of them got in our way. Our horse swayed through, dodging the trees as we passed them. I looked up at the sky, seeing the clouds still drifting over our heads. They were white, puffy clouds that kept a slight drift across the sky. "It sure is a nice day out," Hambee cheerfully said as I looked ahead of us. I listened to the army talk about the weather when I looked around more. I sighed as I thought about asking where we were, but I didn't want to let the army know that I was not wanting to be out anymore. We walked up to a big cave with a rock that sat in the middle of it. The cave was a little dark that was lit up a bit in the front. Water drifted from the pointed rocks that hung from the top. "Hideyoshi, we should turn around. I think we're walking in circles" Kanbee said as dad didn't answer. I looked up at him as I studied him. He was looking at the cave in silence, his eyes were locked on the darkness of it. I looked back at the cave, as to wonder what he was looking at. I looked back at him as I spoke. "Dad, is something wrong?" I asked as he sighed. "No Harper. I'm alright," he said while he smiled back down at me. Trotting got next to us as Mitsunari spoke again. "Should we continue Hideyoshi?" he asked as Dad nodded. "Yeah. We should," he said as he turned the horse around and we continued to walk in silence.

Dad leads the army, not saying a word to anyone. I looked back at the road as I studied it, seeing our footprints going the way we came from. The footprints were perfectly rounded from the horses as they still looked fresh. I looked up as I studied the trees that were starting to cover us, shadowing the ground from the sun. It wasn't that hot outside, which made being in the shade cooler than I thought it would be. Dad sighed as he stopped. "Where should we go next?" he asked, as I sighed. I didn't speak to him, thinking he was talking to the others. I ignored him as I didn't want to butt into the conversation. "Harper," he said which grabbed my attention. "Oh sorry. Um, I'm not sure. I don't know what's out here," I said, as I looked at the pathway in front of us. Dad sighed as we just started to walk down the road in silence. "Should we show Harper the other side of town?" Toshiie asked as dad sighed. "We shouldn't. Just in case," dad said as a branch broke on the side of us. The conversation died as we just sat there, listening to it. The air went silent until another snap of a branch and a growl came up ahead. We stayed silent as can be, listening to the sounds. A snap, then growl. It continued getting louder as it grew. Something was coming our way, but we didn't know what. Dad studied it as he reached in behind him. He pulled out his little knife, as he gave it to me. "Harper, use this if you have to," he said, as he put the knife in my hand. I looked down at it as I studied it.  A silver blade that sparkled in the sunlight. The handle was a black plastic, that kept the knife in place. I studied the knife, as I saw my dad's name engraved in the blade. "Harper, listen to me," dad said as I looked up from the knife. "I know I didn't teach you how to fight yet. But if anything harmful, an animal or a stranger comes up to you. Swing that knife at them and don't worry if it kills them. Protect yourself" he said, as he dismounted the horse.