17 | seventeen

A / N

Pure, unadulterated #Marcy fluff. But you know me. Enjoy it while it lasts.

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

1 7

the one with shameless #marcy fluff

FRIDAY AFTERNOON FOUND me back at Hale & Co. again. I'd come here on impulse, but I reasoned to myself that if Miles could show up at Sereinn whenever he liked, then so could I at Hale & Co.

I still felt a twinge of regret when I thought about the last time we'd met. If it had been anyone else but Brielle who'd interrupted us, I would've thrown my shoe at them. I'd contented myself with a glare in her direction. Miles, on the other hand, had left so abruptly that I needed to make sure everything was fine between us.

The elevator doors opened again and, as I'd done several times before, I flicked a cursory glance at it. This time, however, my gaze landed on a familiar face. Dressed in his usual suit jacket, Miles also wore his black-framed glasses—an accessory I knew he needed but hadn't seen on him in a long time. I never knew anyone who could pull off the brainy-is-the-new-sexy look better than he did and I felt my breath catch as I looked at him.

You're way in over your head.

Then again, hadn't I always been this way around him?

His eyes widened when he saw me. "Darcy? What...what're you doing here?"

"Hi again." I smiled brightly at him and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. "I just wanted to make sure you're okay, I guess."

He frowned. "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"It's just that you left really suddenly the other day. I had to hang the star on the tree by myself, and I really wanted us to do that together. Brielle even threatened to fire me because I stood on the counter to do that, but I hadn't any choice after you left."

One eyebrow arched as he regarded me. "So you wanted me for my height?"

Was he teasing me? I could hardly tell. "Of course not! I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think that I regretted having you there, or anything," I trailed off and bit my lip. "Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm sorry you had to leave. I didn't even get to say a proper goodbye."

He nodded again. "It's fine."

His simple apology made me feel a little foolish. It was just like me to get worked up over something that probably wasn't even a big deal to him. "Oh, alright then... That's good. I'm just going to go now, you probably have a lot of work to do."

I turned to go, trying to fight the pinch of disappointment. I didn't know what I'd been expecting—perhaps the relaxed version of him I'd seen the other day; instead of the cold one I saw now.

His voice stopped me before I could leave. "Evers."

I spun around, only to find him watching me. His features were guarded; a slight frown on his face.

"Do you... Now that you're here, do you want to have a look around Hale & Co.?"

My eyes lit. "Really? It wouldn't be inappropriate, will it? What with me being from a rival company and all."