23 | twenty-three

A / N

Nothing else needs to be said except to see the title below. Happy reading!

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

2 3

the one about Prometheus

CAFFEINATED, DURING THE rush hour, was chaotic as all other diners usually were. But if you got up early enough, there was a particularly peaceful time you could catch.

"Your usual, Darce?"

I grinned at Carson, who'd been surprised to see me at his diner this early. "I haven't really decided—" I trailed off as the door swung open. A sharp chill blew in, but I barely noticed and smiled at the person who'd just stepped in. "On second thought, I'll have my usual. Serve it together with whatever he's having, please."

Carson laughed. "Darcy Evers in love. Never thought I'd see the day."

"Is that so hard to believe?"

"No, just that no one in this town ever seemed to interest you."

He wasn't wrong. It wasn't that the guys here in Caverly weren't interesting. It was just that the only guy I was ever interested in had left Caverly years ago. And now that he'd returned, I found I could no longer keep my eyes off him the way I couldn't ever keep him out of my mind.

Carson exchanged a clap on the back with Miles and handed him a menu. "Whatever you want. It's on the house."

"What?" I yelped. "Then why do I have to pay?"

"When you stop coming here on a weekly basis to order cakes for everyone in your department, then you can eat for free."

I scowled. So what if I liked treating my employees to dessert whenever they did a good job? And whenever a customer left us a great review? And whenever it was a Friday afternoon... Damn it. Maybe Brielle was right—I did spoil my employees.

Miles shot a glance at me. "I'll have whatever she's having. And let me have the bill."

I didn't think it were possible for Carson to look any more smug, and I was half-tempted to throw a menu at him. "Coming right up," he said, as he gathered our menus and swept away.

As soon as he was out of earshot, I turned to Miles. "Hi," I said, with a bright smile, before I winced. Honestly, I didn't even sound this breathy back when I was nineteen. Was it possible that I liked him even more than I did back then?

"Hey."

He draped his jacket over the back of the chair, and I tried to study him without being too obvious about it. He seemed well enough—his bruises had faded and his split lip had healed. It'd be a shame if it weren't, because he had the most delicious mouth that was made just for kissing, among other things...

Miles cleared his throat and my eyes flew to his. Shit. And I'd thought I'd managed to be subtle. He arched an eyebrow at me.

"So how're you feeling?" I asked, keeping my voice as casual as I could. As if I hadn't just imagined biting down on his gorgeous as hell mouth.

"I'm fine," he said, "It's nothing I've not been in before."

My smile faded. "Actually, that's one of the reasons I asked you to breakfast. I mean, apart from the face that you haven't lived until you've tried Caffeinated's signature breakfast platter."