29 | twenty-nine

A/N

You've waited 29 chapters for this. (I think.)

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

29

twenty-nine

the one where they—

HIS LIPS BRUSHED mine in a featherlight touch. Soft, at first, and sweet. A slow heat rose between us as he kissed me once, then twice. I moved to kiss him back, but he pulled away.

I blinked up at him. All flushed cheeks and dark eyes as he fought to catch his breath. He licked his lips, as though to taste me on his mouth. "I-I'm sorry," he muttered. "I wasn't...I shouldn't have—"

I didn't even think. All I wanted was his lips on mine again. I gripped his shirt to pull him back to me. "Don't apologize. Just kiss me."

He did. His lips crashed down on mine in a hard, bruising kiss. It stole my breath; left me bereft of everything but him. I curled my arms around his neck and kissed him back with a matching fervor. He caught my bottom lip between his teeth and wrenched a sharp gasp from me.

I deepened the kiss, my tongue sliding between his teeth. He groaned and his hands slid to my waist. He backed me against the door, then wedged his knee between my legs to keep me pinned there. I could feel every inch of him against me—his hard chest to my breasts, his arms wrapped around my waist, his arousal pressed against my thigh. I tightened my arms around him and drew his tongue into my mouth to suck on it.

A low, husky moan escaped him. With an effort, he broke free from my mouth just long enough to gasp, "Open the door before I fuck you right against it."

I shivered at his words. Even back when we dated, Miles had been a model of decorum until right before we had sex. That was the moment his inhibitions lowered and he became mouthy as hell. "Alright," I murmured. "Just let me get my keys."

He let out a shaky breath and released me. I didn't know how I managed to find the keys with his body melded against mine. He'd wrapped one arm loosely around my waist; the other against the door by my head. I could feel the heat of his gaze without even looking at him—burning into me, stripping me bare.

As I turned to slot the key in, he pressed his lips to my head. "You know you've never been just a quick fuck to me, right?"

I twisted back around to give him a quick kiss. "I know," I breathed, and pulled back with a smile. "Come in."

The moment the door was opened, his lips were back on mine. Hot, heavy, hungry. He kissed me the way he'd always had before—with a sweet yearning, a needy desperation and an edge of possessiveness all rolled into one. Then and now—it was the same. I dropped my bag as he kicked the door shut behind us.

His hands left my waist to pull at my jacket and I helped him to shrug it off. Still kissing me, he hooked one hand below my knee, lifting my leg to wrap around his waist. I could feel him, every inch of him, hot and hard as he ground himself against my core. I moaned into his mouth and felt rather than heard the vibration of his responding groan.

My hands slid up his chest to undo the buttons on his shirt. He felt almost like how I remembered. Not overly muscular but lean, built like a runner. His shoulders seemed broader than before; the dip in his collarbone a fraction less pronounced. He shivered when I traced the scar at the base of his neck. I couldn't see it, but I remembered it perfectly.

He wrenched his lips away from mine to press open-mouthed kisses along my jaw, before he dipped down to my neck. Just like I remembered him, I knew that he remembered me. The pulse-point on my neck where he kissed and sucked; the indents along my spine as his hands mapped my back. Confident, bold, familiar. His teeth grazed my neck, a slight sting, followed by the hot slide of his tongue to soothe it. It wrenched a whimper out of me, and I slid my hands down to undo his pants.

As my hand brushed his erection, he groaned, long and low into my neck. I shivered as he stroked my nipples under my sweater. His other hand went around to undo my bra as he kissed his way up to my ear. He lingered, just a moment, so that he could whisper, "I've missed you."

I blinked, surprised by his unexpected words. He said it like it was a secret he'd kept close to his heart all this time. Maybe it is. I drew him down to me and kissed him deeply again. "I've missed you too," I managed against his lips, "I never stopped since the day you left."

He froze.

The pause that followed was unbearable. Miles slowly lifted his head and loosened his grip around me. "I should go."

"What?" My eyes widened. "Why?"

"I—this was a bad idea," he muttered, as he stepped away from me. His fingers redid the buttons on his shirt and pants with clinical deftness, and he looked anywhere but at me. "I have to go."

"Miles—"

I tried to reach for him, but he sidestepped me and reached for the door. "Have a good night, Evers."

Evers? I opened my mouth to respond, but the door slammed shut behind him.