5. Mrs. Parsons

As expected, Angie was the clear early favorite for the ass kisser of the weekend award. I should have known she was going to show up early, but before lunch is ridiculous. I watched from the front porch as my husband walked up to the car and greeted the first guests of the weekend. I could tell by the look on the face of Angie's significant other that  he was a little embarrassed to be there so early. Like he had a fucking choice in the matter. If Angie could get away with it, she would have arrived yesterday. I watched as Angie walked up to the porch while the men grabbed the bags from the trunk. You can tell she's an only child, as she's used to people waiting on her all the time. Heaven forbid the princess help with the bags.

     "Hello, Mrs. Parsons." Angie said, as she walked up and gave a light hug.

     "Hi Angie." I said, as I returned the half assed hug. "And none of that Mrs. Parsons crap. This weekend, it's just Grace." 

     "Thank you," Angie said, smiling. "Sorry for being here so early, traffic was a lot lighter than we expected, and that caused us to make great time."

     "Well, that's good." I noted, but didn't believe damn word she said. Angie was always obsessed with being first with everything, whether it be in line or just choice of guestroom. She was the kind of brat that expected to get her way. The very definition of entitlement. I knew her kind very well, and had ways of putting people like that in their place.

    "This is my boyfriend," Angie said, motioning to the man carrying three bags. "Joshua."

    "Hello, Joshua." I said, as I walked up and took one of the smaller bags from him. "Let me get this for you."

     "Thank you," Joshua said, "Much appreciated."

     "Let me show you to your room," I said, smiling at them both. "I have already assigned rooms, and prepared them for your specific needs."

     "Oh," Angie said, surprised by the announcement.

     The rooms were not being handed out by a first come, first serve basis. This was done on purpose so that brownnosers were not rewarded for showing up too early. They were instructed to arrive at three, and ignoring that instruction shouldn't be rewarded.

     "Right this way," I said, as I held the door open for the two men carrying the bags.

     I led the two guests upstairs and to a specific guest room.

     "Here you are," I said to them. "Get unpacked and settle in."

     "Thank you, Grace." Angie said, but was clearly hiding her disappointment.

     "You're welcome dear," I said to her, enjoying every moment of it. "Lunch will be ready in about an hour if you'd like to join us."

     "That's be great," Joshua replied, "I hope that's not inconvenient, since we're so early."

     "No trouble at all." I said, going out of my way to be nice to the polite young man. He clearly didn't want to be so early, but had no choice. I was okay making lunch for that poor man.

     "I'll let you both know when it's ready." I said to him, "In the meantime, make yourself comfortable."

     "Thank you," Joshua said, with a smile that showed true appreciation. 

     "Yes, Thank you." Angie said just as I was closing the door.

     After I left the first couple in their room, I descended down the stairs and scooted into the kitchen where my husband was, sipping his coffee.

     "I guess we have company for lunch?" He asked.

     "Yes, it appears so David." I concurred as I opened the fridge. "Let's see if there's any crow in here."

     "I get it," David replied, "I was wrong."

     "Now you know why I was working hard all morning," I said, as I started to take some foods out of the fridge and place them on the island in the middle of the kitchen. "I knew that woman was going to show up early. You know it too."

     "Yeah," David said, sighing. "I did. I should have told her five o'clock so she's actually show up at three."

     I stopped for a moment and looked back. "Oh, that might work."

     "Maybe I should just fire her." David suggested.

     "Don't even tease me like that," I said to him, slamming the fridge shut. "Even I know she's good at her job. You'll never let her go."

     "I won't have to." David admitted, "She's so good she'll eventually leave to start her own business. She'll be my competition one day."

     "So this weekend is really about knowing thy enemy?" I asked, as I started to work on preparing lunch.

     "Maybe," David said, "I'm not sure. It could just be to get to know some of the people I work with and understand they're people too. The more I know them, the less of an asshole I'll be to them at work on Monday."

     "Good luck with that," I said, almost laughing in his face. "You could spend the summer with them and still be an asshole. A successful asshole, but an asshole none the less."

     "That makes you Mrs. Asshole, doesn't it?" David asked.

     "Yes," I said, looking back at him with a sly grin. "But you're my asshole. Try not to forget that when you're sneaking a peek at that floosy's ass this weekend."

     "Duly noted," David said, as he placed his empty mug into the sink. "What are we having for lunch?"

     "Whatever I fucking want and you'll like it." I chided back.

     "Alright," David said, as he left the kitchen. "Can't wait."

    I paused for a moment after my husband left the room and sighed. That skinny bitch hadn't been here twenty minutes and she was already getting under my skin. There was no telling how much better or worse it could get when the others arrive. Hopefully one of them will take her side and slap that smug smile off Princess Angie's face. I warm smiled creased my face as I resumed making lunch, dreaming that wish could come true this weekend.