19. Nicholas

After speaking to Jimbo and Angie on the back porch, I walked back into the house and b-lined for the bathroom beside the kitchen. I locked the door behind me and took a moment to myself in the small two piece, powder room sized bathroom. After splashing a little water into my face, I was ready to return to the table and continue the job interview that only I knew we were participating in. I didn't it was fair of me to be the only one who knew that, so I was intent to return to the table to make sure it was an even playing field. When I left the bathroom, Jimbo and Rachel were already seated and eager to get back to it. I could tell by Rachel's new demeanor that she knew, but I never asked Jimbo to keep it to himself. In a few minutes it wasn't going to matter anyway.

     "Excuse me," I said, still standing to get everyone's attention. "Before we get started again, I need to get something off my chest."

     Mr. Parsons seemed a surprised as he sat down, but nodded. "Go ahead, Nick. What's on your mind?"

     "Well, I know why we're all here getting the third degree." I started, "And the fact that I'm the only one who knows, and this gives me an unfair advantage. I think everyone here should know that Christopher handed in his resignation last Monday, and that will leave the company short a C.F.O. in a few weeks."

     "How did you know that?" Mr. Parsons asked.

     "I learned through a second hand source," I said, but it was a bald faced lie. "I knew about it days before he handed in his resignation."

     That last part was the truth, but it didn't matter as the cat was clearly out of the bag now.

     "If this really is a process to chose a new CFO," Mr. Parsons inquired, "Then why tell anyone and give up your advantage?"

     "While I'm honored to be considered," I answered, "I don't want the job. I prefer to stay where I am now, because right now my job is the most stable part of my life. Right now I prefer to keep it that way."

    "What's that supposed to mean?" Mrs. Parsons asked, "How chaotic are other parts of your life to say something like that?

     "I don't think Nicholas wants to air all his laundry out here," Angie said, interrupting the line of thought. "If he doesn't want the position, I think we need to respect his wishes no matter what his reasons happen to be."

     "Says the person whose odds just increased," Jimbo snapped at her, his voice cracking like a whip. "Of course you want to respect his decision to not stand in your way."

     "Hey, that's uncalled for." Josh said, as he was clearly offended by the accusation, irregardless of how true it might have been.

     "Hey guys, chill." I said, seeing where this was going. "She's right, I'm not ready to share what's going on in my life."

     "Very well," Mr. Parsons said, as he stood up. "I'm not sure how you found out, but that's something we can talk about later when there are less ears around."

     "If you don't want me the rest of the process," I continued, "I can leave tomorrow morning."

     "That won't be necessary," Mr. Parson said, dismissing the comment. "While I am looking for a new CFO, part of this trip is still to relax and have a little fun. I was trying to make the process a little more fun and mysterious while trying to find the right person for the job."

     "Thanks," I said as I sat back down at the table. I didn't want to say anymore at that point, especially considering I had already said enough.

     "So what he said is true?" Angie asked, "You're considering the three of us for CFO?"

     "Yes, it is." Mr. Parsons answered, "But now it's between the two of you now. By the time this weekend is up, I will offer the job to either you or Rachel."

     "Why is Christopher leaving?" Rachel asked, shocked to hear the news. Jimbo did tell her it was about a promotion, but he didn't know for what position. She was shocked to hear that he would even consider leaving, let along hand in his notice. It just didn't seem like him.

     "He didn't say very much about it, and the letter was quite vague." Mr. Parsons answered, "All he told me was that it was time for him to move on, take on new challenges, and other bullshit. I have a feeling he was made a better offer than what he currently had, something he assumed I couldn't match."

     "If that's true," Angie said, "Then we'll hear what it is sooner rather than later."

     "What makes you think I even care?" Rachel said as she stood up, "I don't approve of this covert attempt to blindside us with a competition for such a prestigious position. For that reason, maybe I don't want it either!"

     Without giving anyone a chance to respond, Rachel stormed out of the room and up the stairs. Jimbo was as shocked as anyone else, but he sat there in silence unsure what the hell happened and how he should react to it.

     There were several things going through Angie's mind at that moment, I could tell from across the table. If she tried to take the win by default, that might lower her stock in Mr. Parsons' eyes. Rachel's act of integrity might also give Rachel a rise in stock and make her a favorite. This being said, I think Angie had only one option given the situation but based on her body language she was internally fighting over her options. Finally she stood up and looked back at her boss.

     "I happen to agree with Rachel," Angie declared, doing her best to make it sound believable. "I don't want the job this way either. It doesn't seem right to treat our future like a game show, and we deserve more respect for all the hard work we've done for you and your company."

     She then also walked out of the dining room and up the stairs to her room. The men and Mrs. Parsons all watched in stunned silence as it appeared the CFO competition went from three candidates to el zippo at the drop of a hat. I wanted to smile and even laugh at this turn of events, but I didn't. Mr. Parsons took a sucker punch to the gut and his weekend was going down in flames. It was only the first night, and things were not going his way. All I know is that if Gerard was here to see this, he'd be laughing his ass off...