Chapter 10

Three sunrises had passed since Leafpool visited the Moonpool for the second time. Leafpool awoke, Crowfeather beside her. She stood up and stretched, before noticing that her sister was gone. I bet she's hunting for the rest of us.

Sure enough, Squirrelflight appeared through the camp entrance, jaws filled with prey. Her eyes seemed to bore into Leafpool's soul, and she sure didn't look happy. 

Dropping her prey onto the ground, she meowed, "Leafpool, I think we need to talk."

Squirrelflight stalked out of the camp at a quick pace, and Leafpool had to scurry along behind, struggling to keep up without running.

"Wait up!" Leafpool exclaimed, confused.

Squirrelflight's tail lashed back and forth, and her ears were flat back against her head. "Walk faster then."

Her harsh, scalding tone stung, and Leafpool shrunk back a little bit.

"Squirrelflight...." Leafpool trailed off, knowing that there was no calming her sister.

Squirrelflight spun around, stopping suddenly. "I can't believe you!"

Leafpool backed away, confused. "What?"

"You didn't tell me about the kits!" 

Leafpool shifted nervously. 

"Your kits?" 

"How did you-"

"Don't believe everything you see! Of course, I can pretend to be asleep, don't you do that sometimes?"

"Once, and we were apprentices!"

Squirrelflight sighed. "This is pointless. You are expecting. You didn't tell me. I'm upset. Geez."

"Alright, so you're mad, but you knew anyway."

"But it's betrayal. Don't you see? I'm your sister, and you always used to tell me everything! Why change now?"

"I didn't want-" Leafpool was trailed off as Squirrelflight turned tail and darted away.

Miserable, Leafpool trudged back towards her home. She knew Crowfeather would be waiting for her, but even he couldn't cheer him up. Her sister would always be more important than everyone else. Starclan, help me. I'm sorry. Oh, what did I do wrong? 

Crowfeather brushed his face against Leafpool's, but she just ignored him. Her sister was gone.

Leafpool tried to convince herself that Squirrelflight just needed some time to relax and cool down, and then she would be back. But a little voice inside of her said, She's gone and she's not coming back. She's running back to her Clan as I speak.

Would I have left my Clan, if I had known it would cause me so much pain?