Chapter 13

Leafpool had sat nervously beside her sister all night, and exhaustion was slowly dragging her eyes shut. Squirrelflight's breathing had returned to normal, except for once when she appeared to be panicking. Her heartbeat was steady, and none of her wounds seemed infected. Leafpool was a bit worried about Squirrelflight's leg, though. It wasn't broken, just dislocated, but it could be painful. 

Leafpool's eyes began to close. She couldn't keep them open much longer. Then, Squirrelflight shifted, mumbling something, and her eyes opened a bit.

"Huh? Where am I?" A look of confusion appeared on Squirrelflight's face, followed by anger. "The badger! Where's Crowfeather? What happened?" 

"Calm down," Leafpool tried to reassure her sister. "I'll explain everything when Crowfeather  gets back. Now, what do you remember?"

"I stormed away. I couldn't see the badger set... attacked... Crowfeather saved me...."

"Alright. That would explain the bites and the smell of badger all over you."

"How'd I get here?"

"I found you near the camp entrance, passed out. I dragged you here."

Squirrelflight licked her chest fur, embarrassed. "I should've been able to walk a few more tail-lengths...."

"No, you were really beat up. You were lucky to make it as far as you did."

Squirrelflight tried to stand, tottering on her paws. "Where's Crowfeather?"

"He's out hunting. And before you ask, he's fine. He escaped the badger with just a few minor wounds."

"Oh, good."

"Listen, Squirrelflight, I'm really sorry that I didn't tell you about the kits." 

"But..." Squirrelflight trailed off.

"Fine," Leafpool meowed reluctantly. "I didn't want to hold you back from your clan. I know you aren't going to stay forever, and I didn't want you to feel the need to stay."

"Okay, that is a good reason."

"And you're sorry for..." 

"Overreacting and being so stubborn. I knew you were expecting kits even without overhearing you. I shouldn't have blown up like that."

"I'm glad we're in agreement," Leafpool gave her sister's ear an affectionate lick. "Now you should get some rest."

Squirrelflight curled up into a tiny ball as Leafpool applied new herbs to her wounds. Her herb stores were running low, and she had barely any marigold left. Rolling up some thyme leaves, with poppy seeds hidden inside, she dropped them at Squirrelflight's paws.

"Here. These will help with the shock and help you sleep while I work," Leafpool meowed.

Thanks, Leafpool," Squirrelflight said, her eyelids beginning to droop. 

Leafpool's own eyes were starting to close, even without poppy seeds.

Leafpool could hear a shuffling sound outside. "Leafpool, take a break. I can watch Squirrelflight." It was Crowfeather.

"Thanks," Leafpool meowed, curling up in her den and drifting off to sleep.

A/N

I'm over halfway done now!

Thanks to everyone's wonderful support! So close to 1k reads now! (932)

Squirrelflight's leg was broken before, but the story has to go quicker than that so it was just dislocated. I changed everything to fit.