4

We sit around the kitchen table, a pitcher of water at the center and glasses in front of both Jake and Maive. It's almost halfway empty, and I've already refilled it twice. As the strangers guzzle water, we all peer at each other in silence, each trying to figure out the other.

Maive speaks first, with all of the tact of youth. "You don't get many visitors, do you...?"

As she trails off, I realize she's looking for my name. Jake frowns at her, but I give her a small smile to let her know it's okay.

"I'm Leah. And no, never. Especially not from the south. Unfortunately, a few of the newcomers that have made their way into town have caused trouble. So everyone here is a little wary of new faces."

Jake nods in understanding. "We lost our home. Rough harvest, tougher debt collectors. We needed to start fresh, so we turned north."

I get the feeling there is more to the story, but I still don't sense danger or an intent to harm from either stranger. I decide their business is their own, and I won't pry. Plenty of people lead unseen lives and keep to themselves. I'd be a hypocrite if I demanded more openness.

"How far will you go?" I ask.

Jake shrugs, and he looks years older. "Until we find that fresh start, I guess."

"Or until our feet fall off," Maive grumbles.

I wonder just how far south they started. Up close, they looked much more haggard than I had originally thought. Though Jake had said they'd only been traveling a few days, the dirt smudged on their skin and the dust settled deep in the folds of their clothes told me they'd probably been on the road for quite a while longer. The bags under Maive's eyes were almost purple; I wondered when was the last time she had gotten any good sleep.

Looking at these two, I know I shouldn't be thinking what I am, but I also can't ignore the fact that they showed up during the only two weeks I've been - and might ever be - free to help them. I don't much believe in coincidence or fate, but I couldn't think of another explanation for this chance encounter.

"I don't know about a fresh start on life, but I can give you a fresh start on your journey. No offense, but you both look like you could use a shower and a decent night sleep. I've got hot water, and you're welcome to the loft in the barn for the night," I tell them.

I see Jake tense, unsure of what to do with my offer. Before he can protest, Maive leaps up and throws her arms around me.

"A shower! Oh my god, a shower!" She squeals in my ear.

I stiffen and she pulls back as if burned.

"Sorry," she says, "it's just been so long..."

I recover from the shock and say, "No, no it's fine. I can't say anyone has ever been that excited to use our shower though."

Maive laughs, and I break into the first genuine smile I've given all day. Maybe all month. I honestly can't remember.

"That's really kind of you," Jake says, "but we can't impose like that. It wouldn't feel right."

Maive deflates beside me.

"It's okay, really. If you really want to, you can finish fixing the back door and we'll call it even. Would that be fair?"

Jake considers me and his sister a moment before nodding. "Sure, that's fair. You really did a number on that frame."

He smiles, and I take the comment as a teasing observation. Maive does a happy dance by her chair, wriggling her shoulders and waving her hands.