I've made up my mind by the time Jake and Maive return home. After tonight, I'll start packing up my things and find a new place to live. If I can't find somewhere before Shawn gets back, I'll stay with Chris. I plan to talk to him about that at the hootenanny. If he's really on my side now, he shouldn't mind helping me out. Either way, I want to be long gone by the time Shawn comes home.

I offer to help Maive with her hair, but she ends up helping me with mine since I'm a little rusty with the curling iron. Turns out I'm also a little rusty with my makeup routine, so she helps me there too. By the time she's done, I hardly recognize the reflection in the mirror.

"Where did you learn to do this?" I ask her, marveling at the loose curls and barely-there makeup brightening my face.

She shrugs. "Some from my mom. Some from the internet."

I stand and pull her into a hug. "Thank you," I whisper.

Maive finishes her own hair and makeup and we both change into our dresses before making our way to the kitchen to meet Jake.

Maive flounces in first, and Jake frowns at her. "You look too grown up in that. I'm not sure I should let you out like this."

"She looks wonderful," I tell him. "Completely age appropriate, I promise."

Jake's eyes flick to me, and the word gobsmacked springs to mind as his eyes rove over me.

"Doesn't she look amazing?" Maive smirks.

To his credit, Jake manages a whispered "yes" before clearing his throat and grabbing the keys. His eyes never stray from me, and I feel a blush creep into my cheeks.

Maybe, just maybe, if I can get away from Shawn...

I try not to entertain the idea prematurely, but the thought of having a chance with Jake sends thrills down my spine. That is, until we reach the hootenanny, and he parts with Maive and me to meet Stephie at the Ferris Wheel.

"Don't worry," Maive says, turning to me. "He won't be able to stop thinking about you while he's with her. This won't last long. Anyway, I see the girls from the Rose over there. I'll see you later tonight!"

"Don't forget! Rendezvous at the dance floor by 9, please," I call after her.

She waves to let me know she heard but doesn't turn back. I watch long enough to make sure that she's okay with these new friends before turning and meandering through the booths. It doesn't take me long to find Chris.

"Holy shit Leah. What's got you all dolled up?" He asks, giving me a hug and stepping back to take in my new look.

"Why the hell not?" I respond.

He grins and motions to a bench. We take a seat, and I leap right in before he can say anything else.

"I need your help, Chris."

"Anything, Leah. I will do anything for you. Just name it."

I was hoping he would say that, but I also want to be clear on the risks. "I'm leaving Shawn. I want to be out before he gets back, and I was hoping I could stay with you for a bit. At least until I find my own place. It's dangerous, I think, for you, so I'm sorry to ask this of you but I don't know what else to do or where else to go -"

Chris cuts off my rambling. "Done."

"I - but - really? You don't mind? Even though he'll probably come after you?" I try not to cry. I'm sure Maive wouldn't let me hear the end of it if she saw mascara tracks down my face later.

Chris scoops up my hands and looks me in the eye. "Yes, Leah. I will do anything to get you away from that bastard. Even if it means I have to fight him off myself. He's going to be back this week though. Do you need help packing things up? You can store stuff at my place while you're looking and -"

I throw my arms around him, cutting off his words. "Thank you," I whisper.

He hugs me back and I relax. I have a plan, a real, solid plan to get away from Shawn. It's over. I've finally seen my situation for what it is and I'm getting the hell out. The sense of relief washing through me leaves me buzzing. I feel invincible, ready to take on the world as if nothing can stop the new Leah from doing whatever she wants.

"Can I ask you something?" Chris says as we pull apart.

"You can ask me anything. You know that," I tell him.

"What's going on with Jake and Stephie? Or you and Jake, for that matter. I saw them together earlier, but the other night I kind of got the impression that you two..." he trails off.

I tuck a curl behind my ear. "Honestly, I don't know. Things have been... tense. But he's here with Stephie now so, it is what it is, I guess. Can you imagine what she would do if I 'stole' another man from her?" I giggle.

Chris laughs. "Does she still think you stole Shawn from her? She's nuts. If she could only hear the crap that he used to talk about her. It's a pity, really. She's not that bad."

"Christian! Do I sense a crush?"

Even in the glow of the carnival lights, I can see the blush creeping into his ears. "You do! You're interested in Stephie!"

A light tap on my shoulder stops me before I can tease him much more. I turn and find myself looking up into a pair of familiar amber eyes. My heart leaps.

"Sorry to interrupt. It's almost nine though. Leah, would you join me in the dance hall?" Jake asks.

Almost nine! Already?

I take the hand he's holding out and allow him to pull me up before turning back to Chris. Before I can say anything though, Jake says, "I, uh, I heard what you said Chris. Um, there might be a slightly angry Stephie making her way to the dance hall as well, now missing a partner."

Angry Stephie? Missing a partner? What happened in the last hour?

Chris grins and sets off toward the dance floor, Jake and I trailing behind. He's still holding my hand as he leads me into the barn that's been transformed into a dance hall just for the hootenanny. Twinkle lights are strung from the rafters, casting the whole room in a warm and cozy glow. We spy Maive with a group of kids in the corner, her interest completely devoted to the boy beside her.

Jake starts to make his way toward her, but I pull him back. "Don't. She's fine. Let's just let her have some fun, alright? I think she deserves it."

I try not to laugh as I watch him battle his protective instincts. Eventually, I win out and he turns to me. "I guess you're right. Would you like to dance?"

I nod, and Jake leads the way onto the floor. As he pulls me into him, I can't help thinking about how perfectly we fit together, from the way my hand rests in his to the way our bodies move as if choreographed. For once, I stop thinking about everything and just enjoy the sensations as he sends me spinning across the floor, pulling me back into him, a little closer each time until his forehead is resting against mine as we sway to the music.

Over his shoulder, I spy Maive swaying with a dark-haired boy. I also spot Chris twirling Stephie in wild circles. He's never been much of a dancer, but they're both laughing. I sigh, sinking a little deeper into Jake's embrace. Nothing could possibly ruin this moment. It's too perfect.

"Leah," Jake breathes against my skin, "can we talk? In private?"

I pull back, skin tingling, heart racing, and nod. Jake leads me outside. Despite the barn being packed, there's still a crowd threading through the rest of the hootenanny and I can sense that this isn't the private moment Jake was asking for. Without a word, I squeeze his hand and lead him toward the edge of the sunflower field.