Chapter 5

"So, let me get this straight. Rebecca showed up out of the blue, invited you over and you accepted?" Wendy asked from her spot next to me at the bar.

   "They're my kids, Wendy. If this is what it takes to see them, then so be it." I replied before taking a long sip of my beer.

   "I agree." Blake said.

   I pointed my hand in her direction. "See? If Blake agrees, then it can't be a bad idea."

   Blake lowered my hand. "I agree with Wendy."

   Wendy laughed a little, while I just eyed Blake. "You can't be serious."

   Blake shrugged. "I understand they're your kids but, Rebecca being there doesn't sit well with me."

   Now, Blake was like a second mother to me and after Rebecca left, Blake took it to heart. She resented Rebecca for what she did and honestly, I couldn't say I blamed her.

   "Trust me, Blake, I don't like this anymore than you do but, I have to see my kids. I'm just looking for a little support here." I said, searching Blake's eyes.

   She sighed. "Fine, you have my blessing. But, don't bring her back here."

   I let out a small laugh. "I'm just going to see the kids, that's it. Remember, she ran out on me."

   After a little while, Bailey and Alice strolled in.

   "Hey, guys, how've you been?" Wendy asked as they took the two empty seats next to us.

   "Good." Alice said.

   "We've been working on a new song and I think your vocals would be perfect for it." Bailey added, looking at me.

   I put my hands up. "Hey, it was fun while it lasted. But, I'm done with that."

   She lowered her head, a disappointed look on her face. "Fine, but don't say I never did anything for you."

   I laughed and patted her back. "Never have, never will."

   She smiled at me before ordering a beer.

   After a few drinks, Wendy talked me into a game of pool.

   Usually I was confident when it came to pool but, I haven't played in a long time... Plus I was hammered.

   "Can I get my excuses out of the way now?" I asked as she handed me a pool cue.

   She shook her head and smiled. "Nope, your break."

   The game was a short one, ending with me losing.

   Wendy jumped up and down. "Yes!"

   I laughed. "Savor the moment because that'll never happen again."

   She just stuck her tongue out at me before skipping back to the bar.

   I decided just to shoot around, setting the balls back up as the small crowd dispersed.

   "Damn, you suck." Candy said with a chuckle as she walked up behind me.

   I turned and pulled her into a kiss. "I haven't played pool in years. You should've seen me in my hay day."

   She laughed as she set the last of the balls.

   I was lining up my shot when she leaned in front of me, showing off her cleavage. "Wanna drive me to work? First dance is on the house." She asked in a seductive tone.

   I looked from her chest to her eyes. "How can I say no to that?"

   She giggled as I stood up and took her hand, leading her to the door.

   We waved goodbye before heading out to my car...

   Mötley Crüe filled my ears as we stepped out of the private room.

   "You gonna hang around? I'm on tonight." She asked.

   I smiled and kissed her. "You bet."

   She smiled back before heading off.

   I walked up to the bar and took an empty seat.

   Angel, the bartender, smiled as I sat down. "Haven't seen you here in a while." She said as she handed me a beer.

   "I couldn't pass up a free dance." I replied, causing her to laugh.

   "Candy's a sweet girl, she doesn't belong in this place."

   I sipped my beer. "Tell me about it. Ive been trying to talk her into leaving."

   Angel leaned on the bar. "How's that going?"

   I set my beer down. "How do you think?"

   She smiled. "She's sweet, but stubborn."

   I raised my beer. "That's why I love her."

   She chuckled a little before moving onto another customer.

   I met Candy backstage after her dance. She was in one of the changing rooms.

   I knocked on the door. "Ready to leave?"

   She opened the door and stepped out. "Lead the way."

   We passed the diner on our way home, just like we always did. But, this time it felt different, like I just noticed it after all this time.

   I turned quickly and pulled into the parking lot.

   I shut the car off, but didn't get out.

   "Uh, you ok?" Candy asked, a confused look on her face.

   I nodded. "Yeah, you wanna grab something to eat?"

   She smiled. "Well, since we're already here, we might as well."

   I returned her smile before stepping out of the car.

   Candy followed me to my favorite booth in the back. We sat across from each other.

   The waiter walked up shortly after and we ordered.

   "Pancakes and coffee? It's after midnight."

   I just smiled. "Trust me, they have the best pancakes in town."

   She laughed, taking my hands from across the table. "Well, if that's true, how come you've never taken me here?"

   I looked down at our hands as I rubbed hers with my thumb. "This is uh, where she used to work."

   She gave me a sad look. "Why now?"

   I shook my head. "I don't know... it just seemed right."

   Before she could answer, the waiter came back with our food.

   I took a bite of the pancakes, realizing immediately how much I've missed this place. After Rebecca left, I refused to step foot in here again. But, after seeing her the other day, my mind was a mess. Memories I've been desperately trying to keep down resurfaced. I knew the past was the past but, that didn't mean I had to forget it. Those were some of the happiest years of my life and I wasn't gonna let how it ended ruin my future.

   It was time to take my life back and make new memories with the girl I loved now...