Chapter 6

You pulled your hand from Bruce's and curled it back into a fist. "I've had that scar forever. Don't even remember how I got it now."

He arched his brows and gave you a look that said he didn't believe a word you were saying. "You did not have that scar yesterday. Or even today when you handed Tony his coffee. Don't bullshit me. I'm more observant than most people give me credit for." He slid off his glasses and tossed them onto a nearby table before crossing his arms over his chest. His gaze never wavered from you as he waited for you to speak.

Finally, you sighed and paced away from him. "I'm not trying to bullshit you, Bruce. I just wasn't intending on telling anyone. Not for a while, at least."

"So, you are Tony's soulmate then?" He dropped his arms and took a step toward you.

Suddenly unable to speak, you nodded.

"Okay. And you've known since?"

"After he was missing. He was doing a press conference and I saw him on the television. Our bruises matched."

He raked a hand through his already messy hair and huffed out a breath. "And you haven't told him?"

"What do you think, Bruce?"

"All right, all right." He gestured toward one of the chairs at his small kitchen table. You sat and he took the one across from you. "Are you planning to tell him?"

You debated for a moment whether to even the continue the conversation before deciding it was too much of a relief to have someone to talk to for you to stop now. If things got back to Tony, you'd just have to deal with it then. "That was my intention when I came here. I tried to get through to him by phone and I couldn't so I just showed up. They assumed I was here for a job interview and here we are."

"I don't suppose you mentioned you were his soulmate when you tried to call?" he asked.

"It's not like anyone would have believed me if I had. Besides, that's the kind of news you need to deliver yourself don't you think?" You leaned back in your seat.

He ran his fingers across the surface of the table as he thought. "All of that aside, why haven't you told him since then? You've had time. He's been looking for you for a long time."

Hearing that Tony had wanted to find you made your heart a little lighter. It also made you feel a little guilty. "He has a girlfriend, Bruce. I'm not going to be what breaks them up."

"Who? Pepper?"

You nodded.

He grimaced. "She's not really his girlfriend."

You pursed your lips thinking over everything you had seen the last few weeks. "Are they dating?"

He tilted his head from side to side. "Well, I mean, technically—"

You held up a hand to cut him off. "Technically is enough of a relationship for me. I'll tell him when the time is right. This isn't it."

"How do you know that it isn't? I won't tell him if you don't want me to, but you should. And the sooner the better."

"That's enough. I'm not going to let him drop his entire life because of me. That's not fair to him, Bruce."

"You dropped yours to come here for him. Shouldn't he get the same choice?"

***

It took a while before you were convinced that Bruce wouldn't spill your secret. It wasn't that you didn't want to tell Tony. You would love nothing more than to be with him but you didn't want him to pick you just because you were his soulmate. You wanted him to get to know you as a person first and a soulmate second. Things like that took time.