Chapter 18

A/N: This is the end, my friends. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. 

***

You had forgotten what an incredible pain in the ass it was to get Tony on the line if you didn't have his direct number. You tried twice before you gave up, cursing yourself for not memorizing his number. Or anyone else's for that matter. Why would you need to? You always had your phone, right? You groaned in annoyance.

"Can I get up now?" Hammer said below you.

You drove your heel into his side again. "No. Be quiet. I'm thinking." There was a beat of silence as the solution came to you. "And I'm an idiot."

You called the operator and asked to be connected with Stark Tower again. This time when the receptionist answered, you asked for Happy. "Please advise him that it is a code 3 priority call." Code 3 meant there was a Tony problem and usually you were on the receiving end of those calls. The three being a reference to his mental age when he was at his most annoying.

"Who is this?" Happy answered the phone a short time later.

You rolled your eyes. "Is that how you answer the phone? We're going to have to rethink your nickname."

He said your name in relief. "Holy shit. Where the hell are you? Everyone here is going nuts trying to find you." You heard noise in the background as he moved around.

"You won't believe me when I tell you. Are you anywhere near Tony?"

"Taking you to him right now. Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm okay, Hap. Just pissed off but I found a way to relieve some of the anger." You kicked Hammer in the other side this time and wondered if you'd managed to actually break any of the ribs yet. At least it was keeping you from being bored.

"Oh, come on," he groaned and you grinned at his discomfort.

***

Tony and the rest of the team were bent over a map laid out on a table. Fury was on the main screen as they argued over strategy. Nat's intel on Igor and who he usually worked for had made finding you a more urgent priority. You might be fine for the moment, but that wouldn't last.

"What is that going to accomplish?" Steve asked in response to Fury's latest idea.

"Wasting time. That's what it will accomplish," Bucky muttered and Tony doubted Fury even heard him.

"Boss," Happy said trying to get his attention.

Tony glanced at him to see the phone in his hand and quickly dismissed him. He didn't have time for this right now. He circled a section of the map. "I still say we should focus our energies here. Ran scans for heat signatures. The bad guys always use warehouses."

"Boss," Happy said again, a little louder.

Tony made a shooing motion at him.

"And I say it's a waste of resources to send everyone there. What if she's not there, Stark? What if the bad guy is smarter than you this time?" Fury argued.

"Boss!" Happy yelled.

Tony spun with a scowl. "What? We're a little busy trying to find someone here, Hap."

"Maybe I can help with that." Your voice coming through the speaker of Happy's phone had everyone freezing for a beat.

Tony breathed out your name, not quite ready to believe it was you just yet.

"Last time I checked. Have Jarvis trace this call and get me the hell out of here, would you?"

***

It was a matter of minutes before shouting drifted to you from the depths of the building. You turned your head to hear better, but no further sound came to you. Just as you were prepared to dismiss it as nothing, a large thud came from the hallway. You started to get up then turned back to Hammer. "Stay."