Eight

"You are under arrest. Her majesty would like me to escort you to a holding area. She would like to speak with you."

These words were the last I heard before I blacked out.

They gave me something. They knocked me out.

Realization hits me quickly. We were so close. We failed. At least, I failed.

Cinder could have possibly made it, but that's doubtful.

Stars above, I messed it all up.

Thorne.

Where's Thorne? He was with me.

My breathing quickens as I look around at the cell. Concrete walls and floor, a single, locked door made of crossing bars. I'm laying on a bed that juts out from the wall.

I sit up quickly, but my head spins. I put my head between my knees and try to calm down. I can't, though.

I failed, I failed, I failed.

It was such a simple job, just shutting off cameras, but I must have missed one. Stupid.

I cover my face and cry softly.

Suddenly, there's a noise in what must be the cell next to mine. It sounds like heavy feet slapping against the concrete, trying to gain purchase.

"Hey!" It's Thorne's voice. "Hey, I want to talk to someone!"

Thorne. "Thorne!" I yell, running to get to the door. Through my side view out of the bars, I can barely make out the side of his face, pressing against his own bar door.

"Aces, Cress," he sighs.

"Keep it down over there," the guard's voice booms.

"Hey, we'll get out of here," Thorne whispers.

I stay silent.

"Cress, are you okay?"

"I failed," I spit out. There's nothing in my voice, it's flat.

"It's not your fault." I want to believe him badly, but even I hear the doubt in his tone.

I scoff. "They're probably dead because I couldn't do my job."

Out of the corner of my vision, I can see Thorne wince. "Cinder is... Cinder is crafty. She'll figure it out." He's trying to be reassuring.

I slump against the wall, hands rifling through my short hair.

"I FAILED, THORNE! THEY'RE PROBABLY DEAD, AND WE'LL PROBABLY BE KILLED, TOO!"

There's heavy footsteps heading towards us. I scoot slowly back over to the door.

That was a mistake.

There's a gun pressing against my forehead.

"I told you to shut up," the guard's words are punctuated with hatred. His face is contorted, looking disgusted. "You're just a useless shell. I would kill you now if I could, but her majesty insists I keep you alive long enough to be questioned." I wince and he takes notice. It seems to amuse him. "She didn't say, however, that I have to turn you over in one piece..."

Suddenly, the guard is pulled from my view in one swift motion. I scramble to see why.

"You touch her, and I'll have you carted from here in a body bag." Thorne's voice is low, threatening. It's a promise.

The gun is trained on Thorne now. The guard's face is red hot, he looks like he's going to blow. Fear bubbles up quickly inside me.

"Listen, pretty boy, I am on charge of you right now."

"Wow, my bunny slippers just ran for cover," I can hear the smirk in his voice.

Wrong move.

The gun clicks, and the guard takes aim.