𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦

ᴍᴀʏᴀ

"Maya, get up!"

I groan and kick the air. "No."

"Come on, we have school!" Riley yells in a panicky voice. "We're gonna be late, you don't even have your backpack!"

"It's fine," I say, rubbing my eyes. "I don't learn anyway."

I look at her and she's already dressed for school. I try not to stare at her, but that's impossible. I shift my gaze and go freshen up.

"You can wear some of my clothes," she tells me when I walk back into her room.

I go into her closet and slip into a hoodie and some sweatpants. "Thanks."

"Are you even gonna try to dress nice?" she laughs and stuffs her backpack with binders.

"Do I ever try?" I roll my eyes and brush my hair.

"Well, you look cute either way," she says and my face goes red. I try to say something, but I'm stumped.

"Cute?"

She stops what she's doing and blinks. "Sorry, I..."

"It's okay," I quickly say and smile. "I just didn't expect that."

She bites her lip and zips her backpack up. We go downstairs and wave to her parents and Auggie. "We're late, bye!"

Once we get through the rowdy train ride, we quickly get to class. Sadly, I had Algebra, so I didn't see Riley until my last block.

The day went by pretty slowly, but finally, Chemistry came along.

I walk into the classroom and see her sitting with Lucas. My heart aches, but what did I expect? She likes him, not me. When she called me cute, she didn't mean it the way I wanted her to mean it. 

I sit next to Farkle and he raises his eyebrows. "Is that Riley's hoodie?"

"Yeah," I mumble. "It's not a big deal."

He smirks and the teacher tells us about the lab. Farkle and I run through the procedures after he clarifies everything. I must've screwed something up because Farkle starts groaning and yelling at me.

"Sorry," I stifle a laugh.

"It's fine," he clenches his jaw, clearly irritated. "Easy fix."

I look over at Riley and Lucas. Riley's giggling like crazy. I ignore that irritating feeling and focus on the experiment. 

"I don't understand," I begin venting quietly to Farkle. "She calls me cute earlier but she still hangs out with him?! Maybe I'm overthinking everything, but even she thinks something's different between us! I-"

"She called you cute?" Farkle cuts me off.

"Yeah, but in a friendly way, of course," I tell him.

"You sure?"

I shrug and look over at them. "I don't know anymore."

We finish the experiment and the bell rings after a few minutes.

I grab my stuff and walk to the subway. On my way, I feel a tap on my shoulder and see a smiling Riley.

"Hey," I mumble.

"Hi, Peaches. Guess what?"

I raise my eyebrows.

"Lucas and I are officially boyfriend and girlfriend!"

I feel my heart shatter into a billion pieces, but I cover up my pain with a smile. "Really? That's great, Riles."

She grins and we get onto the train.