MAHADEV

We all know that BRAHMA, VISHNU AND MAHESH are known as TRIDEVS.
Brahma is the creator, Vishnu is the preserver and Shiva is the destroyer. He is although the destroyer but do you know destroyer I what sense?  He destroys so that a new era can begin.

The appearance of Mahadev is different from others. While the other gods wear gold garlands, he wears garland of snakes, the other gods wear ornaments, he wears RUDRAKSHA, while other gods wear colourful dresses, he wears tiger skin. The appearance of Mahadev makes him special.
Actually Shiv is ARDHA-NARISWAR. This means his left part is Shakti(Sati/Parvati).
When nothing was there, no gods were there, then first ARDHA-NARISWAR was there. Left part symbolises Woman(Shakti) and right part symbolises Man(Shiv).
What is the meaning of Shiv?

शिव ( Shiv) word has two important sub-words or letters associated with the main word.
It is made of two sub words/letters-  (Shav) and i.
Actually this means without Shakti, Shiv is actually a Shav( dead body).
Shakti converts Shav to Shiv and gives his identity a new shape. In the word SHIV , I symbolises SHAKTI.This Shakti is nothing but Sati/Parvati and many others because Shakti has many forms.
In this story I will tell you that Shiv has Moon in his head.
PRAJAPATI DAKSH was the son of BRAHMADEV and PRASUTI was his wife.
Some of their daughters were married to CHANDRADEV.
At that time ADI-SHAKTI  was in her SATI form who was daughter of DAKSH.
Daksh hated Shiv and didn't want anyone dorsShivPuja in three worlds, buy he was unaware of the fact that his daughter Sati herself is Shiv's Shakti -ADI-SHAKTI.
One day Daksh became furious seeing Chandradev doing Shiv Puja.
He became furious and cursed Chandradev that he will die on the upcoming AMAVASYA and Daksh himself will create a new-planet which will replace Chandradev.
Soon Chandradev became ill and Aditi(mother of Devtas) became worried about her son. Soon she became aware of the curse and started praying to Shivji.
At that time there was a great saint named MARKANDA who was one of the greatest devotee of Shiv. He created a powerful Shiv-mantra and Shiv became pleased listening to that mantra.
Mahadev became pleased and granted him a boon that in future whenever anyone will recite this mantra whole heartedly will become free from AKAL-MRITYU ( unexpected death).This mantra is known as MAHA-MRIRTUNJAY MANTRA.
Markanda became aware of Chandradev's situation who was half-died.
MARKANDA wanted to apply this POWERFUL mantra of Shivji to Chandradev,
but Shivji also has to give blessings and power to this mantra do that Chandradev become alive again.
At that time Shiv was in tapasya and Markanda thought not to disturb him. So he went to Vishnu for help.
He smiled and said,"Saint Markanda, Shiv's Shakti that is, Sati can do it because Sati herself is Shiv and Shiv himself is Sati."
So he went to Devi Sati and requested for help.
She smiled and blessed Chandradev and the mantra.
Chandradev became fit and fine again.
Shivji opened his eyes and appeared in front of Chandradev. He said,"Today is ShivRatri.One day is left for Amavasya, I am taking you on my head. You will be safe forever."
Mahadev took Chandradev in his head and everybody praised Shiv and Sati.