Chapter 7

Author's note:

I do not know if many of you got the notification, but I updated chapter 6 too so go read that before this one!

Kyler dropped me off at my house two Saturdays ago after the party, and as soon as I got home, I thought of a million question I wish I had asked instead.

Like why does he street fight, where'd he move from, why is he so strange? He was such a mystery.

For the next two weeks, neither of us talked to each other, but he had sort of a routine. He would always stare at me and I never looked back.

He would stare at me in history, in the hallways, in the cafeteria, anywhere we saw each other, his eyes were on me. It was sort of comforting, actually. Knowing that he noticed my presence, made me feel kind of important since I had never received any attention from my parents.

But one day, he came to school and didn't even glance at me.

I'm obviously confused because him staring at me had become a part of my day, as weird as that may sound, so it felt strange having him ignore me the entire day. Even when I looked at him, which I never do, he still doesn't look back. Something is seriously wrong.

After school, I wait until 4 to go out to the parking lot because I know I'll catch him smoking with his friends. Who I've come to find out don't go to this school. They're either older, or go to another high school, because I only see Kyler with his 3 other friends after school.

Right as I expected, he's leaning against his black truck, smoking. His friends all seem to be having a good time, laughing and joking around, but he just seems distant. He's just standing there staring off at the field, not saying anything. Yeah something's definitely wrong.

I quickly take a deep breath and gather the courage to go over to him, before I back out.

"I need to talk to you," I demand, in front of all his friends. They stand there quietly watching our exchange, and that's why I want to talk to him in private.

"No." He tries glaring at me, but his eyes betray him and show how drained he really is. I know something is terribly wrong, and all I want to do is help him. Maybe I owe him, after he helped me that Saturday after the party.

Even as I think the words 'owe him' in my head, I know that's not why I want to help him. I want to make sure he's okay because I care.

"It's important," I don't know why I want to talk to him so bad after he's already said no once.

"No."

"Please," I whisper so quietly, I wonder if he even hears me.

But I know he heard me when he slightly nods his head. Phew.

We walk over to the side of the building, and he stands there leaning against the wall, folding his arms. His arm muscles are basically bulging out of his shirt and I practically have to force myself not to stare at the muscles or his tattoos.

"What's your problem?" I ask, with a hint of sass, because I'm a little upset he hasn't looked at me at all today, as stupid as that may sound.

"What?" he seems genuinely confused.

"What's wrong?" I ask exasperatedly.

"What are you talking about," he's annoyed now, great.

"Nothing," I say. He clearly doesn't want to talk and I'm just bothering him so I am about to turn around and walk away when his hand tightly grasps my wrist and pulls me closer to him.

We're now face to face, with our bodies touching each others.

"What are you talking about," he repeats.

"Why won't you look at me. You haven't glanced at me once today. Why?" I yell. I feel stupid as soon as the words are out of my mouth. I can't believe I actually said that. Shit.

"I-"he stops and runs his hands roughly through his hair.

I try to get out of his hold and walk away when he starts talking again, " you're out of your mind, if you think I haven't looked at you today. I noticed that you curled your hair for the first time this whole week, I noticed you're not wearing your comfy runners, but these uncomfortable boots that I know you hate, I noticed the way you kept getting frustrated at your hair for being in your face, I notice that you're the most beautiful damn woman I've ever seen. I can't take my eyes off you, how much more do you want me to look at you," he screams.

As soon as he says that, my brain can't seem to function properly. I just stand there, staring at him, shocked. He actually notices me. And, did he just say I'm beautiful?

I don't have any words, so I do the only thing I'm capable of right now. I wrap my arms around his torso and hug him. We hold onto each other for a long time before I finally decide to let go and ask him the big question.

"So what's the problem then? Why do you look so down?" The concern is clear in my voice, and I know he notices it too when he closes his eyes painfully, and leans his head against the wall.

"I.." He lets his guard down and tries talking, when something flip inside him, and he pushes me away slightly.

The boy who was just holding me in his arms, the one who said the most thoughtful things just pushes me away, and stares at me with a cold, hard stare. He has put his mask back on.

"No, Kyler, please don't push me away. Talk to me," my voice breaks as I talk because I'm hurting for him. I know he's hurting inside, so I don't understand why he's pushing me away, when all I want to do is help him. "Let me help you, Ky."

Right as I say those words, he breaks down. He falls to the ground on his knees, taking me with him, and cries into my shoulder.

I've never seen him like this, he always wears a facade of indifference and hatred, that seeing him like this I'm frozen in place.

But I quickly snap out of it, and take him into my arms. My back is against the wall now, and he's laying in my arms with his face in my neck. I let him hold onto me and cry, while I ran my hand through his hair, trying my level best to comfort him. Soon, I start placing small kisses in his hair, which seems to be helping, because he goes from sobbing to sniffling slightly.

When I know that he has completely stopped crying, I lift his face into my hands, and can't help but cry seeing him so broken like this. I try to wipe his tears, before wiping mine.

"My mother..." Another lone tear comes out of his eyes.

Author's note,

I hope this chapter made it clear that Kyler obviously feels something for Julianne, even though he may not explicitly say it to her.

Please vote, and comment what you think happened to Kyler's mother.