Luke (Part 1)

"Luke!" Shane yelled, snapping me from my trance.

"What? Sorry."

"We're leaving in ten minutes, be dressed." He left my room, and probably went to Kendra's room to yell at her to be ready.

It was Saturday, which meant it was our weekly family day where my dads weren't allowed to film anything until we got home, and we had to do a family activity for at least two hours. Also, I'm gonna just call my dads by their name when I'm talking about them, to prevent confusion. I always tried to call them other things but my sister Kendra called them both dad and nothing I said ever stuck.

I put on black Adidas joggers, and my baseball hoodie. I put on Adidas tennis shoes to go with it, and unplugged my phone.

I walked downstairs, opening whatever streaks people from school had sent me.

"Hey, bub." Ryland gave me a side hug.

"Hey." I answered.

"Did Kendra get up?" He asked, and I shrugged. "She was up late doing homework, well and talking to Josh."

Josh, Kendra's boyfriend since I was 7 or 8 so they've been dating for like five years. Technically they've been engaged for a couple of months now. Josh and Kendra both went to the same school in high school, and now they both go to the same college. Josh has lived with us since they graduated high school though, because he has family stuff or something I don't really know but he lives here.

Today's adventure was apparently just Target, because school started tomorrow. My first day of middle school, and I was not prepared for my life.

"Phones on the table." Ryland announced before we left, tapping the coffee table.

"Dad." Kendra groaned. "Do I have to?"

"Kendra you've literally done it for the last 5 years." Shane chimed in laughing.

I placed my phone on the table as Josh came downstairs.

"G'morning guys." He said.

"Hey, Josh!" Ryland said, overly excited for whatever reason. "Are you coming to Target with us?"

Josh gave him a questioning look, but shook his head. "I have work."

Fast forward to the car, I ended up in the front with Ryland, while Shane and Kendra were whispering about something in the back. Shane and Kendra had always been closer, but I never minded because Ryland and I were closer. I mean I still had my moments with Shane and Kendra still had her moments with Ryland, but just in general that's how it was.

"Dad, you don't understand, I can't." Kendra whispered.

"You just need to think about it." Shane answered quietly.

"Okay, what do we need to get." Ryland asked, interrupting their conversation. Him and Shane exchanged knowing glances.

"I need basically all of my school stuff." I said. "I need binders and papers and pens."

"I just need like pens and paper. Ill mainly use my laptop." Kendra tried to remember her list off the top of their head.

"Can you turn up the music?" Shane asked Ryland as he connected his Bluetooth.

A Britney song started playing, and in my 12 years of life I've been to 2 Britney concerts and still don't know song names.

Shane and Ryland started singing dramatically as Kendra and I gave each other glances.

"Okay get the cart." Ryland motioned to the cart area and I lightly jogged forward grabbing one.

"So I think I need this." Kendra picked up a glassed Starbucks thing out of the refrigerator. "Can I open it before you pay for it?"

"Kendra there's literally a Starbucks right there that isn't in a glass." Shane said.

"Oh yeah." She laughed at herself.

"Ry usual, Luke you want anything?" Shane asked me and I shrugged.

"Uhhh, that vanilla thing." I'm clearly an educated human being.

Kendra and Shane rejoined us 5 minutes later in the school section. We had already filled the cart with a ton of packs on papers and a binder for each of my classes. (I had 4 core classes and band).

"Here Luke." Kendra handed me my drink and I thanked her. "I need pens." She glanced over the cart and disappeared to find I guess her pens and a case for them.

"Bub what else do you think you need?" Ryland threw in some packs pencils and a pack of pens.

"I need a pencil case, umm a homework folder, water bottle? I don't remember." I think I had made a list on my phone but I couldn't even remember that. "I won't know until literally the first day of school probably." I complained, leaning on the cart.

"It's okay, just get the basics that you know you'll need now." I wanted to tell him 'how am I supposed to know what the basics are I've been homeschooled until this point in my life.

Of course, since it was "Saturday family day" we had to drag said school shopping trip out for two hours. By the time we had finished shopping it had only been like an hour ish. Which meant we were going to get lunch. A quick lunch at the mall quickly filled that time, and we were back home quickly.

I was packing my bag, when I heard Ryland and Kendra yelling at each other over something.

"Hey, hey." I heart Shane interject. "Ry, breathe, Ken you need to breathe too. Go upstairs for a little bit." I heard Kendra race up the stairs. "Love you, Ken."

Kendra then knocked on my door.

"Yeah?" I answered and she opened the door. Her eyes were red and she was clearly mad.

"Luke I need to tell you something. And you can't tell them because they don't know yet." She paused for a minute then mumbled, "Even though I don't even know how that's gonna go over at this point. So first me and Josh are moving out. That's what dad is making a fuss about."

I rolled my eyes. "Little Kendra baby leaving the nest?" I mocked.

"Luke I think I'm pregnant."