Chap. 5 "Lunch. NOW."

"Makayla..." I droned.

"Hey, you need to come with me!" She said grabbing my arm.

"Kayla!" I swatted her arm.

"Ow!"

"Woman, you know how I am!" The memory of the prank fluttered through my face but she didn't catch it.

"Whatever, c'mon!" She said with a light in her eyes. Oh no, I thought, what has her mind connived this time? I followed her and asked,

"What is it?"

"Lunch." She said with a smile that worried me, "NOW."

Pro tip, when a girl speaks in all caps; it'd be wise for you to do what she says. As some old people told me once, happy wife, happy life or if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I don't know why I translated that to two wise words for friendships with women: yes, ma'am. Yup, that's the two words: yes ma'am... most of the time, it's a start.

I followed her into the cafeteria and once I saw an empty seat next to Sarahlinn I stopped for a second. The blonde from my second period was across from her and gave me a smirk. Oh dear Lord Jesus.

Kayla urged me onwards with a look in her eyes I interpreted as get over here or die the Death. I followed her as tentatively as I would Sauron. After the Dark Lord took the edge of the table I... tried to sit naturally next to Sarah.

"Everyone!" Makayla introduced, "This is Allen! Allen," she pointed to those named, "Hannah, Megan, Alisha and Sarah."

Hannah was picking at her food, Alisha gave a bashful wave, Megan was still reading her book, and Sarahlinn smiled as she blew a tuft of her hair from her eyes. I mumbled a greeting and got my packed lunch, two Subway foot longs I bought this morning. I popped open a can of Cherry Dr. Pepper as the others looked at me... or was it the food?

"Gawd," Hannah said, "I wish we had open campus lunch."

Well it was the food.

"I know right-" Megan started until she saw me and said with a start, "oh! You..."

I gave her finger guns saying, "Heyy!"

But my face was probably screaming about being comfortably—uncomfortable. Yeah, as of today that's a thing. The anxiety of sitting next to my crush was uncomfortable... but sitting next to my crush somehow made me comfortable at the same time? I sipped some soda in an attempt to calm my nerves.

"Are you gonna eat that?" Hannah asked before Kayla kicked her shin and gave her the Glare of Sauron. I tried to joke, another coping mechanism of mine,

"What? Jeally of my sandwich toasted over the fires of Mordor?"

The others laughed and Hannah rolled her eyes.

"On a legit note, yeah. Yeah I am."

"Hey guys," Makayla started, "how about we all meet up after school at Subway?"

This time, I gave her the Glare of Sauron.

"Yeah, totally!" Alisha said with some hidden intent, "Speaking of, I really need to go to the bathroom."