Chapter 12

One year later

It took time. A lot of time... But things did get better. Nobody had realized the reason why Canada and America had snapped that day, but they soon blamed themselves. Though everyone was forgiven, America and Canada never quite fully forgave themselves... Everyone was still wary of what they said or did around the two, but the blondes don't really care, and wish that they all didn't try so hard. All they wanted was for things to go back to normal, pretend nothing ever happened. Of course that would mean Canada would go back to being ignored by everyone, and America would be insulted and tormented everyday. So at least some good came out of the "The Incident" though that wasn't the way they wanted it to happen. There were times where nightmares would remind them of what they did, so they were often very tired. England and France were the only ones who knew and understood...

"Hey Canada?" Russia asked, taping the country in question on the shoulder. Canada turned away from the book he was reading to look at Russia.

"Y-Yeah? What is it?"

"I uh... I wanted to give you this." Russia then handed Canada a small dwarf sunflower that he had behind his back. Canada blushed and smiled widely.

"Oh! Thank you! It's beautiful." Canada said, taking the flower from Russia's hand.

"I wanted to tell you something but well... I'm not sure how to."

"You can say whatever you want."

"Okay then..." Russia paused for a second before he bent down and kissed Canada on the lips. His eyes widened as Russia pulled away.

"That's not really saying anything but-"

"I love you too..." Canada said, cutting him off. Russia then smiled happily, hugging him.

"Я люблю тебя..."

Meanwhile

"America aren't you cold?" Japan asked. It was winter time, yet America was dressed lightly.

"Oh no I'm fine..." he replied, ignoring the fact that he would like to be a bit warmer. Japan thought it was odd, considering how he deals with the cold, but shrugged it off, because what could he do? He just went back to writing things in the snow. Things he wish he could tell the person he loved. He wrote them in his own language so only he could read them as well. He didn't know why he did it, maybe cause it felt nice to do. Japan looked at America as he threw another rock into the lake they were by and smiled.

"Maybe one day..."

"Huh?"

"Oh, nothing!" Japan replied quickly, realizing he had said it out load. As a gust of wind blew by, Japan noticed how late it was getting.

"Hmm. I better get going. Do you want to come with me or..."

"Nah I'm fine. You go ahead." America said while tossing another small rock. Japan smiled weakly and said goodbye before turning away. It was getting dark, but America didn't care. He sighed and fell backwards into the snow, just staring at the sky.

"I wish I could say something..." he said to himself as he started pointing to and counting stars that slowly became visible. The truth was, he had liked Japan for a long time, but didn't know how to tell him. Or anyone. Though even if Japan loved him back, he deserved so much better. America sat up and looked out on the water.

"If I'm alone... Nobody will love me, listen to me, save me..." deep in thought, America's mind started going places it shouldn't.

"But also... Nobody's around to hate me... Around to ignore me, or around to abandon me." now America smiled. Thinking about what being all by himself could really be like.

"Maybe being alone isn't so bad..."

"Right?"