Chapter 4. Things aren't always what they seem

"His majesty, King Victor and Duke Ishin!" Called a servant as he announced the arrival of the king and the others.
"Welcome everyone. I'm glad to see that you all could make it to our annual ball. Before we begin, I would like to make an announcement. Tonight's ball is going to be the most exciting ball we've ever had. The duke has just informed me that his daughter Lady Cana is engaged."
The people clapped and cheered.
"And you must be wondering who the lucky man is. Yamato, would you please come forward." Said the king as he motioned for Yamato to come next to him. "Everyone, this is Tanaka Yamato. I'm certain that none of you know who he is. Well, give me a chance to explain. I believe everyone here remembers the tragedy of fourteen years ago. That day my parents and my younger brother left me alone in this world. I thought that I had lost everything. But today, Ishin-san has blessed me with such an extraordinary news that even I couldn't believe at first. He informed me that my younger brother was still alive."
The whole room went silent.
"Yes. My younger brother is alive. Everyone, I would like to introduce to you, Prince Julius Wisseragna. Lady Cana's fiancé." Said the king as he pointed towards Yamato.
The crowd erupted in cheers. Some even started tearing up and hugging each other. It was a very happy moment for everyone indeed.
"I will not go into details for now since we are here to enjoy ourselves. I know all of you have questions, but now's not the time for that. Tonight is a joyful night. So because of this great news, let us all celebrate like we have never done before. Let the ball begin." Said the king as the crowd erupted in cheers.
A lot of people surrounded Yamato welcoming him back, congratulating him and Cana on their engagement, introducing themselves or asking questions. It was a very special night indeed.
"I see you made a lot of friends, brother." Said the king as he gave Yamato a pat on the back.
"It would seem like it. Didn't know that I'd become so popular." Said Yamato.
"But of course you would be. You were presumed dead for so long. But I'm glad that the information was wrong."
"Me too. A few months ago, I wouldn't have imagined that I was a prince."
"Indeed. You must have faced quite a few problems these past few months. But let's not spoil the mood. We can talk about all this later. So when are you and Cana-san planning on getting married? Have you chosen a date yet?"
"M-marriage? Isn't that a bit soon?"
"Well, I wouldn't think so. You are both old enough and given your royal status, I believe it's the right time for that."
Yamato looked at Cana for a moment. She was surrounded by some women who were congratulating her on her engagement.
"I guess..."
"Not to mention that the two of you are childhood friends and have been engaged since back then."
"What? Cana-chan and I knew each other since before the incident."
"Why of course. The two of you were inseparable. You guys were together all day. Don't you remember?"
"No. All I remember is my time spent with those fakes."
"I see. Which means your memories have been erased."
"My memories?"
"Yes. They must have erased them in order to keep you quiet. But no matter. All that matters is that you are alive and well. Let's enjoy the rest of the ball."
"Yamato-kun, are you alright?" Asked Cana who came to join the two.
"Yes. I am. But that's what I'm supposed to be asking you."
"Oh, that. They all surrounded me and started congratulating me on our engagement and asking questions about how we found you."
"Everyone is very excited tonight. By tomorrow, the news of my brother's return and your engagement to him will spread all over Wisseragna. Speaking of which, he is Julius now." Said the King.
"Of course. Sorry about that, Julius."
"No worries."
Then the band started playing and Julius turned to Cana.
"Cana-chan, would you honor me with this dance?" Said Julius as he bowed.
"Of course, Julius." Said Cana as she gave him her hand.
"Oh? So you can dance, brother? I see Cana-san has proven to be a very good wife already."
The two of them blushed and smiled at each other as they made their way on the dance floor. The two of them swayed together in perfect sync. Everyone was admiring this young couple. Cana looked up in Yamato's eyes. She was extremely happy to be able to be together with the person she loved most. And Yamato felt the same way. It was like time has stopped for the two of them as they just continued to dance through the night ignoring the audience that was mostly looking at them than dancing.
"They really do make a wonderful couple." Said a lady.
"Yes. That they do." Said another.
Yamato smiled at Cana who turned a nice shade of pink.
"I'm so glad Prince Julius is alive and well." Said a man.
"And to think that they were the same kids who used to play together since they were born." Said another lady.
Yamato's expression changed slightly.
"Julius, are you alright?" Asked Cana.
"Oh...um...yes. Why don't we go on to the balcony and get some fresh air?"
"That would be nice."
The two of them made their way to the balcony where they could finally be alone for a while.
"Julius, is everything okay?" Asked Cana who looked a bit concerned.
"I really can't get anything past you, can i?" Said Yamato as he smiled at Cana.
"Not if you have me as a fiancé." Said Cana who smiled back at him as she held his arm.
"Cana-chan. We've known each other longer than a few months, isn't it?"
"How do you know that?"
"My brother mentioned it. He said that the reason why I don't remember anything is because my memories have been erased. Is it true?"
Cana looked up at him.
"Yes. It's true. We've known each other for quite some time. Since we were just little toddlers, we've been inseparable. So our parents decided to get us engaged to one and other."
"You remember all that?"
"Yes. When the two of us heard that we were gonna get married once we grew up, we started playing around, pretending to be a couple. You even proposed to me."
"What?! I did that?"
"Mmm hmm. And we even had our first kiss." Said Cana as she giggled. But then her smile faded. "I was devastated when I heard what had happened. I cried and locked myself in my room for a whole month. My dad and a few others would come to check up on me, urging me to come out or to leave me some food. I didn't know what to do anymore." Said Cana as she started tearing up.
"Don't cry. I'm here now. I'm sorry for leaving you all alone. I might not remember anything from the past, but I promise to always be by you from now on." Said Yamato as he held her in his arms.
"Thank you." Said Cana as she rested her head on his chest.
"By the way, I've never asked but, where is your mother?
"My mother... She was killed alongside the king and queen."
"What? I'm so sorry for bringing up such a bad memory."
"It's alright. I should have told you sooner. But I don't want to let it affect me. Especially since I have you with me."
"And I'll always be here with you." Said Yamato as he lowered his head for a kiss.