Chapter 4 The Face of the Devil

After a few hours, they got bored of talking about boring topics, so Ady and Hisyam decided to play some loud video games. Hisyam was mocking Ady about not playing good enough.

"I cannot believe you are still bad at this after all these months of playing!"

"I am not bad, just never played on this difficulty level before."

"These are excuses, man. You are the worst at this!"

In the kitchen, some other type of fun was going on. Fasha, Nelydia and Aaron were talking about Fasha's art and talent.

"So, I have hired her," said Nelydia. "I mean, look at her work. It is brilliant, right?"

"Yes, you are very good, Fasha! Your work is elite!"

Fasha smiled, accepting all the compliments she was getting, ready to be in the centre of attention. Aaron had an idea.

"Hey, speaking of which. I've got something I think you guys should see."

"What is it?" asked Nelydia with a curious tone, specific for her. She was starving for knowledge and art. She was so happy to be in a world with so much beauty and was always ready to discover new things.

Aaron left the kitchen for a few minutes, time in which the girls started a platonic discussion about their accessories.

"What a beautiful watch you have there!" said Fasha, grabbing Nelydia's wrist gently.

"Yeah?"

"Mh-mhm. It is very nice and it looks so pretty on your wrist. They are so tiny and delicate."

"Thank you, Fasha!"

"I just love how shiny it is!" continued Fasha. After the statement, they make long eye contact, which leaves Nelydia speechless. Her glass was still in her hand and she began to rapidly blink her eyes, trying to fight whatever was taking place all over her body. Fasha tightly gripped her hand, leaned in and gently blew in Nelydia's ear. The girl gasped, just as the second hand on her watch mysteriously begun to slow down.

***

Meanwhile, Aaron was looking for the totem. He found it in his room, cracked, and a black substance was coming out of it. He approached cautiously and gave a closer look at the strange liquid which was looking like acid blood, but darker. It was not smelling bad, like a bitter-sweet perfume that was giving Aaron a sensation of drunkenness. His eyes turned red like he had done hard drugs in the past few hours. He touched the substance, but the decision wasn't very wise. A sharp pain covered his hand and suddenly everything started to hurt. He felt like he was bleeding, but he didn't have no wound. In his body, a river of something denser than blood was flowing crazy, from his head to his legs. His ankles started to ache really bad, as he couldn't even stand straight.

***

Strange things were happening to everybody, but Ady and Hisyam were still playing downstairs. The game became interesting as it was approaching the end and probably for the first time, they were equal.

"Yes!" yelled Ady, jumping up from the sofa.

"No way you won this! This is impossible!" said Hisyam surprised by Ady's unexpected victory.

"Actually, it is possible. Because I am a fast learner, I am..." Ady tried to invent something about how he won, even though it was pure luck, but at that moment he was stopped by a dizzy spell. It made him drop his controller and almost fell back on the couch. Hisyam experienced the same sensation. Both of them grunted in pain. It was a destructive feeling like their heads were about to explode. Hisyam's eyes were full of tears and a strong groan came out of Ady's mouth.