II

Next morning I'm woken up by loud knocking to my door. I grogily rise up, feeling angry that someone dared to wake me up in the rudest way possible. I yank the door open and see Norm and Jake there. 'Uhh, you're not ready yet?'

'What?' I ask rubbing my face, still half asleep.

'It's 7.50.' Norm states.

'It's bloody early, don't you think?' I growl.

'We are supposed to be at the pod room at 8.' I squint at the men, realization finally dawning on me.

My limbs go cold as I finally realize what's happening. ' Holy autotrophic algae, I'm late!!' I jump back to my room, thanking the skies that the room had a sink. I kick the door closed, and freshen up quickly. With two minutes to spare, I race out of the room, the door slamming behind me.

I skid to a stop, right behind Jake. Grace just walked in, wearing the same crooked facial expression. 'Your avatars are ready. Norm, you go here.' she points to the pod farthest from us. 'Sena you there.' she pats the one closest to her. I step in closer, watching a woman open the pod. I hop in, already feeling the effect of lack of caffeine.

'Relax and clear your mind.' the lady said after pressing a few butons, turning to close the metal frame and the pod. I let my mind go blank while trying to not fall asleep. That would be awkward.

Next second I feel like I was falling, but it didn't feel like that free falling dream. Then I feel a bit cooler, making my eyes open. At first, everything is really blurry, but after a few more blinks I focus on two masked people hovering above me.

'Hey, Sena. Welcome.'

'Hi.' I speak turning my head to the side. The boys were waking up too.

'Can you sit up?' the man asked and I do what asked. I take a deep breath as my head start spinning a little. They ask me to do simple exercises, such as connect my thumb with other fingers one by one, or make a facial expression.

I hear ruckus behind me and turn to see that Jake was already on his feet, making a mess with his tail. 'Hey, Jake, you should sit down.' I begin but he then crashes another little gurney, making the humans shout at him and demand sedation from the nurse. He takes a step and then slams the door open outside.
'Jake!' Norm and I shout after him. I yank the wires off of me and follow him.

'Sena, where are you going?' Norm demands behind me, as I stumble over the threshold. The sun blinds me partially and I stop for a second, scanning for where Jake ran off to. I see his blue behind sprinting towards some tall grassed plants.

Grace will gut him.

I take off after him, my wobbly legs finally becoming accustomed to my height. I reach an impossible speed as I skid on the dirt as to not crash into Jake who stood there like a pole.

'Jake, bloody hell, what will Grace say?' I scold him, just as I hear her voice.

'Hey marine!' she comes closer throwing Jake a fruit. He catches it with ease and sinks his teeth into it. 'You too Sena.' I catch the fruit too and follow Jake's lead.

A explosion of sweetness and bitterness hit me. Jake's eyes were wide when I looked at him, with mine probably the same. Grace laughs at us silently, as she pops a hip.

'Aren't you two supposed to be in the prep room?'

'We were, but this ameba decided to go for a run.' I tease Jake, hoping Grace won't be pissed.

'Huh. You ought to dress up properly. Your butts are shining.' that comment made even Jake's cheeks color darker.

Within an hour we were properly dressed. We had a quick briefing on our avatars, and before I knew it, it was coming to dusk. Grace told everyone to go to beds so that our avatars would be safe when we are not using them.

At dinner, Norm, Jake, I and a few others talked about our first experience in our avatars. Well, they did the talking. I listened more.

I was more excited about tomorrow than talking about that. We were leaving for our first expedition with Grace, of course.

I couldn't help but wonder what we will discover. It has been so long I have seen anything green and related to nature. Earth was no longer green.

I am so ready, excited and scared for tomorrow.

I decide to cut the evening short since I don't want to repeat this morning's hassle. I bid everyone good night, and walk out, not before grabbing a cruisant. Gotta get those carbs somehow.

The morning couldn't come any faster. I rolled around all night, even though I wanted to sleep.

When finally 6 AM came I decided to call it. I went to take a proper shower, happy that I am finally clean. When you think about it, I haven't had a shower since I left home. Jeesh.

I was the very first ones to be at the canteen. I shuffled to the seats closest to the window, having my first cup of coffee in five years. I didn't want anything to eat yet, so I gazed upon the greenery that was lush behind the barb wired wall. And the sun was rising rapidly. I just want to be in the jungle ASAP.

'Morning. You're early today.' I hear Jake's voice. I smile at him.

'Morning to you too, marine. Yeah, I couldn't sleep. So I came to have some coffee.' I explain as he went to take some oatmeal. When he rolled up to me, we sat in comfortable silence. It's strange, I met him only two days ago, and I am already comfortable around him. It usually takes time for me to grow on people.

It's nice.