XI

Jake was to go first. Tsu'tey let out another snarky comment making me roll my eyes. I give Jake thumbs up, encouraging him.

With that, I approach the hunter. 'Tsu'tey. Can I ask you a question?' he looked down at me, his eyes calculating.

'Later.' he says and motions everyone to follow him up a slippery climb. When there, I realize it was a sort of stage or observation deck. From here we could see what Jake was doing. I scooted closer to the edge, next to Ka'ani and Saeyla. 

Jake slowly approaches the banshees, with the majority of them flying away scared. From what I gathered, the banshee that chose you too will try to eat you.

Tsu'tey towered above us three, looking at the scene below with a mocking scowl. Jake just tackled the banshee, keeping it in place long enough to make tsaheylu. I don't notice how I start cheering together with my fellow trainees. I fight the urge to jump down and hug Jake. But before I decide to do so, Neytiri encourages him to seal the bond with the first flight.

'Sena, you go now.' Tsu'tey says evenly, but his body language was a different story. He seemed like he was ill. Brushing it off, I climb down to the "arena" taking the skin provided to catch the banshee and scan the area. There were still some left, but not many. Keeping my mind clear and determined, I approach them.

My eyes train on one particularly feisty ikran, smiling to myself. It's showtime.

I kept my eyes on the banshee, clutching the skin belt stalking towards the creature. Cheers erupted behind me again, and this time there was no mocking laughter like when Jake was handling his banshee. One particular person was standing there with his jaw tight as stone.

The banshee screeched at me, and I attempted to tackle it, somewhat copying Jake. To my utter disappointment, it jumped out of the way, his tail whooshing just above my head. We walked in a circle, staring at each other, trying to predict each other's move.

I gripped the skin belt tighter and attempted again to capture it. This time I tackle it but struggle to keep it still. The beast rolls over to the edge, just as I wrap my legs around his neck, making sure I am in control.

Second passes and I realize we are airborne. Vaguely hearing someone shouting, I curse with everything I know, and fumble to grab the antennae to make the bond before we both die.

After a few blood chilling seconds, I finally succeed. Like before, I feel like I was dipped in water, but this time it wasn't as significant having in mind we were still plummeting down like a giant rock. My eyes watering, I try to steer the creature up.

'Goddammit, you are the one with wings here, so fly!' I yell and to my surprise, it steadies itself and I steer it upwards, where the others were peering over the edge, eyes wide. I pass them and steer him straight, huffing in relief.

This was unnecessarily stressful.

'Hey, Sena!' I hear Jake and see him flying above me, smiling widely. 'That was intense, to say the least.

I just huff in an answer and look around, the sun was nearing sunset. 'This is so cool.' that's all I manage to push out, my heartbeat slowing down.

'Yeah.' he muses as we glide around to where the others were. Within an hour, everyone was on their way back home.

Jake decided to goof around, veering into Neytiri's ikran slightly, making her laugh quietly. Tsu'tey, as always scowled and hissed at them.

I chuckled at the scene in front of me. I breathe in deeply again, trying to push aside the fact that I was heaven knows how high we were. Thank goodness they made these reins or however you may call it, so I could have a better grip in my ikran.