XVI

I felt the sorrow of the natives. Or maybe it was my own heart, howling at the thought. I hate the colonel. I hate Selfridge. I hate that Jake had to do their dirty work.

'Sena..'

'Jake, please for the love of the skies, stop talking.' I quipped back at the marine, that slouched in his wheelchair. 'I see that what you are sorry, but I'm still incredibly disappointed in you.' I huff, my own words reminding of my mother when she scolded me when I was little.

His eyes were bloodshot, as Norm and Grace kept a sober silence. It was interrupted by a whoosh of a door, outside the cell we were put in.

I don't even look up, too swamped with thoughts in my head. What will happen now? Those bastards already destroyed the one precious thing in the native's world. Yet again, humans showed their true face - taking what they want without the regard that someone else will be severely impacted. I can't believe I am related to those bastards.

Commotion outside snaps me out, and I look up just in time to see Max rush into the little room, keycard in hand. I look behind him, and take a double look - Trudy stood over an unconscious man, that just minutes ago was our guard.

'What..what is this?' I ask, slightly shocked as we all huddle out of the cell.

'What do you think?' Trudy says, passing Jake a handgun, her eyebrows raised.

Without any further discussions, we six quickly make our way to the exit, to where the aircraft parked. All the way we were sneaking out, I couldn't help but think that we will be caught.

But we didn't meet anyone, much to mine and everyone's relief. Trudy and Norm sneak out first, to make a headstart for her aircraft. I turn to Max, as he looked over his shoulder nervously. I opened my mouth to thank him, but Jake beat me to it.

'Stay here Max. We need an inside man.' he says, giving him a pat on his shoulder. I mouth him a thank you and we hurry outside. I sent out a prayer to Eywa as we reach the ship. I help Grace get in first, and as I turn to aid the marine when I hear whizzing and loud banging against the hull of the ship.

'Hurry!' Trudy yells as I clamber into the ship, hauling Jake's wheelchair with me.

'Go!' I grouch, shimmying further into the ship. I feel Norm grab my arm as Trudy took off so I won't fall out.

'Yeah!' Jake yells triumphally, as we flew away from the compound. As the ship steadied, I noticed that Grace was puffing in her seat. My heart drops, as she lifts her palm, coated with a dark substance.

I crawl to her, and my heart drops.

'Grace was shot.' I yell, turning to the guys. 'Is there a medkit here?'

Norm scrambled around, looking for a medkit, following Trudy's directions. Jake crawled towards Grace too, hanging on to the net next to her.

'Hang in there Grace.' Jake muttered as we proceeded to give her first aid.

**

'Jake, I need to get back there.'

'We need a plan before we rush back there.' he says, putting a box back on the table.

'What plan, Jake?' I ask, my voice going an octave higher. When Grace stirs in her makeshift bed I lower my voice. 'Grace needs their help. She needs Eywa's help.' I hiss at him. He looks at me uncertainly.

'You think they will help? It won't be as easy as just strolling down there, Sena.'

'They will come around, Jake.' I say and he just laughs dryly, shaking his head. 'Neytiri loves you. It is obvious.' I smile at the marine when he looks up, a ghost of a smile on his face. He looked at me nearly star-eyed, which was not very characteristic of him. It was clear he felt the same way about her. I smile wider at him.

'Hey, guys? Do you have any more painkillers?' Graces voice came muffled and tired, as Jake rolled towards her with a nod at me.

I prep the pod for the session, hopping in. I really hope my avatar is fine. And I hope Tsu'tey is okay.

I open my eyes again and see partial darkness. When my senses power back up, I heard someone singing. I slowly sit up, my head spinning heavily.

I look around and see a single fireplace, burning away a few arm lengths away. I inspect the area more and realize it was some sort of a cave.

I see a figure, slumped against the cave wall. I realize it's Tsu'tey, and crawl to him, worst scenario playing in my head.

Just before I reach him, he stirs and blinks a few times before pinning me down with his green eyes.

'Yawnetu.' [Beloved one.] He whispers getting on his knees swiftly, and caging my face between his palms. I lean in, wrapping my hands around his neck and kissing him desperately. His need was just as urgent, but there was something else behind that need.

I pull away enough to ask him a question. 'Where are we?'

'We're at the Tree of Souls. And this is one of few sacred caves.' he said, helping me stand up. 'You got hurt.' he said, his gaze flickering to my head, and I lift my hand to feel around my head. I felt the makeshift bandaging around the side of my head and winced when I touched a sore spot. 'Pey txewm.' [The wait was scary].

'Mo'at said that you might not come back. Injury is severe.' he said quietly, as he held my left hand, his thumb making circles on the outside of my palm.

I blink at him, suddenly feeling weak to my knees, corners of my eyes becoming darker as the wound becomes more evident, pulsing with pain. I stumble, suddenly feeling the coldness sweep me up from head to toe.

I feel Tsu'tey take a hold of me so I wouldn't hit the floor. I started taking some deep breaths, trying to regain a grip on my conscious. The man was clearly distressed as he called my name. I leaned into him, breathing through my mouth, trying to alleviate nausea. Finally, when I get a grip, I muster out.

'I'm okay. But I need your help. Grace was shot.'