return home

Author Notes: Should I have Orochimaru appear in the next chapter during  the chunin exams? Your answers will help me out greatly with the next chapter. Thanks!

Chapter Twelve: return home

Once Gato was killed and all of his hired thugs took off.  Kakashi, Itachi, and Naruto allowed their Shadow Clones to vanish.  The villagers of the wave celebrated as they helped take care of the wounded.  Kakashi had learned through his combat with Zabuza that the rogue ninja didn't support what the current Mizukage, Yagura was doing in the mist village by killing off everyone who possessed a kekki genkai ability much like Haku does.  Zabuza became a father figure to the young boy since he had no where else to go.  Zabuza had taught Haku how to become a ninja as the two traveled together trying to find a place to call home.  Which was hard considering Zabuza's status in the Bingo Books.  After hearing Zabuza's story, the two jonin came to a decision.  To have the two rogue ninja's come with them back to the leaf village.

"We can arrange for a ninja to go undercover and to see if your story checks out.  If it is, I am certain that the hokage will gladly shelter both you and Haku.  It will give the young lad a stable place to live and seeing his skills, he will be a welcome addition as a ninja." stated Itachi as he watched as Naruto ran over towards Sasuke knocking the young Tengu to the ground.  Naruto buried his face into Sasuke's chest crying as he thought that he had lost Sasuke.  Haku went over apologizing for what happened.  He knew that by putting senbons on certain points could cause a being to go into a death-like state.  But he didn't know that it could cut the link between two mated mates.  Naruto had fallen asleep within Sasuke's arms.  It was because of using Kurama's chakra during his rage and causing his third tail to emerge.

*Just don't scare Naruto like that again.  He is no where close to ready to use my chakra yet.  Not without further training.* Kurama stated mentally.  

A week had passed by as the bridge was finally completed.  The leaf ninja's and the two rogue mist ninja's helped out with the completion of the bridge.  Because of Naruto's actions and helping Inari and the wave villagers realize that they had to stand up for themselves, the bridge was named the Great Naruto Bridge.  The group of ninja bid farewell to the wave villagers as they began their journey back to the leaf village.  Itachi had sent a letter attached to a bird for the Hokage telling him about Zabuza and Haku.  This way when they arrive back at the leaf village, no one would attack the rogue ninja.  As the group continued on with their journey back, the younger ninja's were talking with each other about various things.  The trip seemed to go much easier as the three demons didn't bother with changing their forms since they saw no need to.  Haku seemed to get along well with the two young demons and Sakura as the three genin made him feel welcomed and a part of their group.  

Once they arrived at the leaf village gates they saw two Anbu waiting for them.  A female wearing a cat mask (Yugao Uzuki) and a male wearing a bear mask (Tenzo/Yamato).

"Welcome back Team Seven and company.  For security purposes, we need to place the two rogues in cuffs until we get to the Hokage tower." stated the bear Anbu.  Both rogues understood as they allowed the Anbu to place them in cuffs as the group made their way towards the Hokage tower.  The Anbu knocked on the door as Sarutobi told them to enter.  The group entered the room to find the Onikuma sitting at his desk with an Anbu male who wore a dolphin mask (Iruka Umino) mask standing beside him.

"Thank you Bear and Cat.  You can both remove those cuffs now." stated the bear demon.  The two Anbu did as they were told.  "Dolphin was informing me what he had found out through his investigation.  Your claims about the Mizukage is doing to those who possess a kekki genkai rings true.  Ever since your betrayal, there has been an internal war with Yagura trying to get the Mizukage out of office.  You are more than welcome to return back to the mist village and help out with the war.  Or you and Haku are welcome to stay here in the leaf village and become ninja of the leaf.  So what is your decision?" asked Sarutobi.

Zabuza looked at Haku as he knew the young teen will follow him whatever decision that he made.  Zabuza felt it was unfair to Haku to drag him back to the mist to participate in a war against the Mizukage.

"I want to allow Haku a chance to live a normal life so I would like to stay here in this village with him.  I also want to officially adopt Haku as my son." replied Zabuza.  Tears lined Haku's eyes as he always felt that Zabuza only saw him as a weapon.  But it turned out that Zabuza didn't think of Haku in that way at all.

"That can be easily arranged.  Now we have to arrange for a place for you both to live until you can complete missions to get your own place.  I will also have to appoint an Anbu to follow you both around for a week during a trial period." 

"Lord Hokage, I will be willing to watch over Zabuza and Haku during the week as we have plenty of room on the Uchiha grounds." stated Itachi.  Zabuza's eyes widened at the Tengu's proposal.

"Are you certain that is alright Itachi?" asked Sarutobi.  The Tengu nodded his head yes.  Zabuza bowed his head to the Tengu.

"I will be forever in your debt Uchiha along with Team Seven for risking their lives to help a rogue like me." stated Zabuza as Haku also began to bow his head towards the older Tengu and Team Seven.

"Think nothing of it Zabuza." replied both Itachi and Kakashi in unison.

With the arrangement in place, after the week was over with.  Zabuza and Haku will be recognized as leaf ninja.  Both Haku and Zabuza turned in their mist village headbands to the Onikuma.  Naruto, Sasuke, and Itachi showed the two rogues around the village before leading them to their new home for the time being.  Once Zabuza and Haku got settled in the village and performed some missions to earn money, the two former rogues would find their own place to live in and become fully recognized ninja of the leaf village.  Both Zabuza and Haku will begin their new life within the leaf village and earning a new name for themselves  regardless of their past.