Chapter 10: Befriending

"Ooh..." Shan Yu groaned as he woke up with a painful jerk in his stomach. He ate too much and so quickly yesterday that he might've had indigestion. He held his stomach and walked into the bathroom. As he sat, he relieved himself as he let out a deep sigh. That's much better... he thought. When he stepped out, he heard someone snickering. "Mushu...?" Shan Yu asked.

"That was a pleasant sound," Mushu said as he snickered. Shan Yu blushed by embarrassment. "Now, no need to blush! You're a man!" Mushu said.

"Does that really matter...?" Shan Yu asked.

"Men should have confidence!" Mushu said.

"Not 'men' but 'everyone'," Shan Yu said. "Everyone should be equal."

"That's the most... uh... what's that word...?" Mushu asked. "I guess, wisest...? Yeah. Wisest thing I've heard from you."

"Oh, really?" Shan Yu asked. "Thanks, but I also learned from the best."

"And now! Today, you will move on to another lesson!" Mushu said.

"Another lesson?" Shan Yu asked.

"Well, I would not say another lesson," Mushu said. "But you will start merging yourself more into the villagers! You've got the fundamentals, and finished the intermediate level, and now, time for advanced lessons!" Mushu announced. Shan Yu had no idea what Mushu was saying, but he agreed to follow his directions. "But before we move on to our lesson, let's get something to eat."

"Let's head to the kitchen," Shan Yu suggested. "Fa Mulan would be there by now."

Before hiding in his shirt, Mushu said with 'ok' gesture, "Let's get it, Shanny!"

After helping Mulan, the Fa Family and Shan Yu had breakfast at the dining table. Shan Yu felt so comfortable that it felt as if he was eating with his family. He felt something warm inside and it was definitely not because of the broth.

When Shan Yu was about to have another spoonful of broth, Fa Li asked, "So, Shan Yu, any girl you're interested in?"

Out of surprise, Shan Yu unintentionally violently spit out the broth he was about to swallow. He spit all over the table, and some of his broth spit may have gotten into other's bowls of broth as well. "Oh my goodness! I'm really sorry! I'll go get a towel! And... new bowls of broth... I'll do the dishes..." He walked away from the dinner table, with his head down out of guilt, to get a towel and five new bowls of broth.

"Honey, that was pretty random," Fa Zhou said.

"Maybe I shouldn't have asked..." Fa Li said.

"But now, since more villagers know him, maybe he caught few women's attention," Shang said.

"Probably..." Mulan said.

"He needs to find a mate soon," Grandmother Fa said.

Fa Zhou almost choked in his tea. "Grandma!" Mulan said.

"Marriage is not something to be taken lightly," Fa Zhou said. "In order to be a harmonious couple, each must respect each other's likes, dislikes, privacy, and everything else. To do that, knowing each other must be done. Or else, harmony will not be brought up upon them."

"But I hope he finds a good wife for himself," Mulan said. "He deserves a good woman."

Shan Yu came back with a tray of five bowls of broth, and a towel. "I'm back!" He announced and quickly wiped the table, and served five more bowls of broth. "I'm very, very sorry of what I did earlier..."

"No, I should't have mentioned it," Fa Li also apologized.

"Are you just not ready yet?" Mulan asked.