Chapter 6

i let soda into my room as we both sat down on my bed.

"so, ivye, this may come off as a weird question, but why didn't you fight darry back there? you weren't your usually snarky self, is everything ok?"

i nodded my head slightly and said "why can't i just be nice to my great, amazing older brother?" i gave the nicest smile i could, but it obviously didn't fool soda.

he laughed a bit, then said "we all know thats not true. now, whats the real reason you weren't mean and sarcastic?"

"i don't really know. i think i may finally be warming up to you guys, or i realized i was kind of acting bratty. im just going to have to accept the fact that im here now."

we sat in awkward silence for a few moments, when it was thankfully broken by sodapop. "come with me, ill take you somewhere."

i looked up and i scratched my chin to over-exaggerate the fact that i was fake thinking as i said, "hmm. my schedule is pretty full right now. i think i can move things around." soda hit me playfully on the arm and grabbed my wrist, causing me to stand up. "lets go."

we walked downstairs to find the rest of the gang sitting around and talking. "steve, you're coming with us." soda stated. knowing steve, he probably had nothing else better to do so he reluctantly accepted the invite. as we walked out the door, darry asked "where are you three going?"

of course, steve and soda were already out of the house at that point and left me with darry. "uhhh, to the car." i smiled and walked out of the house, hearing giggles trailing behind me.

i hopped into the backseat of steve's car with the two knuckleheads up front. "lets turn on the radio." soda exclaimed. my favorite song came on, which was eleanor rigby by the beatles.

"ugh, the beatles." soda and steve said at the same time while switching the station.

me, offended said, "umm... did i just hear what i think i heard?"

"what, you like the beatles?" steve asked, surprised.

"duh. they're the best. and that was my favorite song of theirs, pleaseeee turn it back!" i said, purposely sounding like a little kid asking to buy candy.

steve and soda looked at each other. "fine, we'll turn it back." i whispered "yesss" to myself as eleanor rigby came back on.

all the lonely people. where do they all come from? all the lonely people, where do they all belong?

i silently jammed in the backseat, occasionally catching soda and steve glance at each other like i was crazy.

the song finally ended, and steve and soda both sighed with relief.

"its finally over!" steve said, too happy.

"the beatles are a really good band! what do you have against them?" i asked.

"first of all, they suck. second of all, they will never be tuff like elvis presley. and besides, only socs like the beatles. in order to be a real greaser, you have to like elvis." steve told me matter-of-factly.

soda and steve started laughing and high-fiving, as i sat there in wonderment. "you dingbats think elvis is actually good?"

"duh, he's the best." soda said, mocking me. they turned the station until elvis came on the radio. from what i heard, the song was jailhouse rock.

the warden threw a party in the county jail.
the prison band was there and they began to wail. the band was jumpin' and the joint began to swing. you should've heard them knocked-out jailbirds sing.

as i sat in the backseat confused out of my mind, soda and steve belted out the lyrics. after a while, the song ended.

"what did you think of that, ive? pretty tuff, right?" sodapop asked.

i paused, then said, "that was the worst song i've ever heard."

"elvis is damn good!" steve said, pretending to be offended.

"alright, lets have a little fun. how about i try to get you two to fall in love with the beatles. i mean, how could you not love paul mccartney? and you two can try to get me to like elvis presley. deal?"

they looked at each other, nodded, and i shook hands with both of them. "now, for my first lesson, we're gonna listen to all of my favorite songs, which include day tripper, paperback writer, and i feel fine." they both sighed and turned the radio until all of my favorites came on.

"what did we get into?" they would say occasionally.

hey guys! i just recently got into the beatles, and i would highly recommend listening to all of the beatles songs mentioned in here, they are all very good! and i know some of these songs were released after the time this story takes place, but lets just not think of that lol. and i love elvis too! don't forget to vote, comment, and follow, and thanks for reading!