New Years Kiss

Patrick

This year for the New Year Maddie was performing in time square for New Years Rockin' Eve and even got to ring in the new year at the drop of the ball on stage with everyone else as the closing act. And I was invited as her plus one which was pretty cool considering there was going to be big names there. People like J Lo and Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift. Big names in the music business and none bigger than my girlfriends.

We fly to New York on New Year's Eve on her private jet and once we do she goes right to the mic check. We didn't have a lot of time here because I have to be back in Chicago for a few games but luckily for me we had the holiday off. I watch Maddie in amazement as she just warms up, she had background dancers and background singers and this whole spectacle. She would be the last person to sing before the clock strikes midnight which sucks only because I'm gonna have to wait for my kiss, but I don't mind. I haven't seen her sing live in a while, no one has. And to see her on that stage smiling and dancing, I can tell she missed it. She might hate being famous but she was so good at it.

Once she finished she comes off the stage to where I was waiting for her. I wrap a coat around her so she can warm up and I give her a kiss.

"Man... it's been forever since I sung on a stage. That was so much fun" she claims.

"I didn't know you can dance like that" I admit and she smirks.

"I've been working on it" she claims.

"I can tell. You weren't even trying and you looked really good" I compliment and she smiles.

"Well thank you" she nods. "Now I want to go catch up with a few friends" she insists. She grabs my hand and pulls me into the hotel we were staying at just across the street from time square.

When we walk in there's a crap ton of reporters like always. But she pulls me to the side and into a hallways no one has been in.

"You know your way around here huh" I tease as she giggles.

"I'm always trying to get away from someone. All the famous people know the back ways of this hotel and none of the photographers have found it yet. Might as well take advantage of it" she shrugs.

After taking a few turns we come up on a door that led to one of the conference rooms in the building. She opens the doors and once she does I stand there frozen. Sitting around on the couches was Taylor Swift and Kelly Clarkson and Miley Cyrus and the Black Eyed Peas all hanging around with hot chocolate and coats on probably getting warm before they have to go out there again. Maddie starts to pull me to the group but I stop her.

"I can't go over there" I insist. "I'm a nobody compared to them" I say.

"That is literally the craziest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Those are people just like you. They like eating crab legs and watching baking shows and put their shoes on one foot at a time just like you. You're going to be fine" she says and I let out a groan.

We start to walk over and the first person to notice her was Taylor. I was a fan of Taylor Swift too, but more of a fan of my girlfriend. I knew they were pretty good friends, at least from what I read in the headlines. She had her little friend group of famous people but everyone's schedule is so different that they can't just hang out all the time. But when they do get together they always seem to have fun.

Taylor runs over and pulls her into a hug as they talk a mile a minute about how Maddie hasn't been in LA so they couldn't have their brunch dates and they missed each other. The normal girl talk I heard all too often when my sister found their friends.

"I'm so in love with your new song! I can't wait to hear more from you. When is your album coming out" Taylor questions. She's been getting that a lot today.

"As soon as I can get it done. Just gotta make sure it's the right songs and the right messages I'm putting out there" Maddie says.

"I'm sensing a bunch of love songs" Taylor says as her eyes fall on me. Maddie turns to me and I couldn't help but smile.

"Maybe" Maddie smiles. "This is my boyfriend Patrick. Patrick this is my best friend Taylor but you probably new that" she laughs.

"It's a pleasure to meet you" Taylor says.

"You too. I love your work" I insist.

"Thanks. But I think your girlfriend about to take my title as most listened to artist" she claims and I smile over to Maddie.

"I haven't a doubt in my mind that whatever she puts in this album will change a lot of things, I know she's already made my life better. It's pretty cool she can do that for other people too" I admit.

"She's something special, that's for sure" Taylor agrees.

After that she introduced me to everyone else who was performing tonight. Everyone knew who she was but she acted like everyone was her friend. Asked them how their families were and if they had anything exciting they were planning after the holidays. A few of them go out of their way to talk to me and even ask some questions about hockey. It was one of the coolest experiences of my entire life and the others weren't even close.

After a while it was time for the show to start. I sit in the wings and watch the other people go on and sing. Maddie stayed with me the whole time as we danced around and had fun. I have to admit, this was the most fun I've had in a long time and surprisingly enough I wasn't at the rink or with my buddies. I was in time square with the woman I love most and I didn't want to be anywhere else.

Eventually it was close to midnight and I had to let Maddie go. So I give her a kiss and she rushes up to the stage. She changes quickly into her performance outfit and they give her one of the hands free mics. Once she takes the stage the crowd roars, like everyone else was the opening act and this is what they waited for all night.

Watching her sing live on this stage out here was crazy. It wasn't like the first time I saw her sing, I didn't know her then. But to know how she feels about being famous and how she still loves to do what she does, that's the special stuff I'm talking about. She loves to be on the stage, she loves to sing and dance and look out into the crowd and feel like she's just hanging out with thousands of her friends staying up late singing her heart out.

By the time she gets done performing the countdown is on.

"Patrick" she yells into her microphone and I laugh. I don't know if she meant to do that but from the look on her face she didn't. I wave so she sees me and she smiles when does. "Come on" she waves me up. I shake my head because being on that type of stage wasn't my thing, but she insisted. So a body guard takes me to the stage and helps me up. Maddie takes off her microphone and tangles her hands in my coat. I wrap a arm around her to try and get her warm again.

"Couldn't wait for that New Years kiss" I tease as she smiles up at me.

"You know I couldn't" she jokes back.

The countdown finally reaches zero and Maddie quickly stands on her tipping toes before pressing her lips to mine. All the cheering and noises go quiet when her lips meet mine. I knew that this moment was going to be one of the most special moments of my life, being up on stage in front of all of these people and every guy probably wishes he was me. But I was the one with the best New Years kiss in the world.