Epilogue

Madeline

Every Rose has its thorns. When it has to be protected in order to keep its beauty there's a good reason to have thorns. But not every Rose gets picked, in the fear that one might get hurt. Some people can't handle the blood or the pain that comes with getting pricked. I get it. No one wants to tear their hands up trying to hold on to a rose that one day will wither away.

But in a way we're all roses, and we're not going to be here forever. And I don't want to spend the time I do have wondering what people say about my problems, my thorns. I don't have enough time to be passed around by people who will never admire the true beauty of my pedals. We all deserve to be picked by someone who doesn't care about how many times they get pricked, just about watering and nurturing so you can continue to grow.

I was lucky, I picked a rose that was strong and beautiful and still had so far to grow. Patrick might not have been the easiest flower to get to open up, but when he did there was no denying that not so deep down he was beautiful. And he did the same for me. He put me in the sun and helped me blossom into a rose worth remembering.

A year after Patrick proposed we got married in the botanical gardens, but this time we were outside. We had a insane reception at the UC and even Celine Dion sang my song for our first dance. Not too long after that Patrick and I had our first child, a little boy who looked just like his dad, so I know he'll be a handful. Then two years after that we had a little girl, a perfect little baby who was already causing trouble with the other little boys. And after working so hard to start a family and be a good wife and mother I can finally say I did it.

I myself was having quite the career. As time passed music came to me and I was able to use my lyrics and ideas to share my life with the world. In between kids I still toured and I still haven't missed a home Hawks game that Patrick was playing in. And although it hasn't been easy I haven't had the urge to take some type of sporting equipment to my records ever again. Instead I took them down and in their place hung up pictures of the kids. Because the awards and records were nice, but there's not a greater prize than a loving family and I was lucky enough to have one.

Patrick won the cup 2 more times after 2010 and even though times are a little rough right now Patrick was still a amazing player. He was setting records and putting his name in the mouths of the greatest to ever play this game. He will go down as the greatest American born player once this all is said and done. But even 11 years after Patrick made his debut he was still going strong, still proving people wrong and making the people who don't like him eat it.

Now it's 2019 and the season was over. I was still pooped for the last tour so I wasn't going to do any lengthy ones soon. I'll do Lolapalooza and some award shows like usual, but nothing too crazy. Im 30 now, far from that young girl I was when I met Patrick ten tears ago. My house is filled with kids stuff and no more hot tub. I cook my own food and for the sake of the privacy of my family don't really leave much. But I loved staying home with the kiddos and the slightly larger kiddo who just so happened to be my husband.

"Alright. Who took my cubs hat" Patrick asks as he looks around. I was going to throw out the first pitch and sing the National anthem at the game tonight but we couldn't leave yet because Patrick couldn't find his hat.

"Have you checked Camden's room" I ask and he sighs.

"Yeah. But that boys so dirty I don't even think we could find Titan in there" he claims and I nod. Fair enough.

"Have you tried Camden" I wonder as our son comes down the stairs. He had Patrick's Cubs hat on and I smile because he only wears it because he wanted to be like his dad.

Our kids kinda had no idea we were famous. In their defense Camden is 7 and Ellie is 5 so it's not like they've had to go to high school or anything like that. But to them were just mom and dad, that's all. No music and no hockey, to them that's just what we do for fun. Daddy and mommy play for a living, that's it. And while I know it won't always be like this, I love that it is right now.

"Son, why did you take my hat" Patrick asks Cam as he places him on his hip.

"Because mom says that she likes how your hair looks in it and I want my hair to look good" Cam claims and I smile. How cute was he?

"Well what am I supposed to wear" Patrick wonders.

"Wear your hockey helmet" Camden suggests as Patrick laughs.

"How about we go find me another hat" Patrick insists.

"That's fine too" Cam shrugs.

Once we have the whole hat debacle settled we head over to Wrigley. Patrick and I try to make it out to a few Cubs and Sox games a year. They love having us and it's nice to do something as a family once in a while. So they have us all go out to the mound and after a second try I throw a strike across the plate. We hang out with the players before I sing the national anthem and we take our seats. Ellie sits in my lap as she watches the game. Surprisingly enough Ellie was the more sporty of the two kids but I thought it was cute. She's a daddy's girl and they always have fun together. Camden was the intellect and can talk himself out of a lot of things. I see him as a lawyer or maybe even a president. Who knows?

"Mommy why isn't daddy playing" Ellie wonders.

"Because he plays hockey, not baseball" I explain.

"But if he wanted to could he play baseball" she wonders.

"He very well could. But I think he's pretty good at hockey" I admit.

"He is" she gasps and I smile.

"He's the best" I assure her.

After a long day at the ball park we head home. I was pretty tired and needed some sleep after staying up with Cam last night when he had a nightmare. So I help Patrick tuck the kids in and I fall face first into bed. I feel Patrick start to rub my back and I start to moan.

"You're doing good sexy momma" he tells me and I smile. I roll over so I can see him and he smiles back at me.

"Thanks. I needed that" I admit.

"And I need you" he claims as he lays down next to me. I pull him into a soft kiss and I couldn't help but smile.

I'm so thankful I found my rose.