<13>

Ten dropped his remote onto the table. "Goddamit. Is this what's been taking up so much of your time lately? You've been devoting endless hours to video games?"

"If I did that, I might be able to make it as a YouTube gamer." I stood up, making sure to take my phone with me. "Want more injeolmi rice balls?"

 "Want more injeolmi rice balls?"

"Sure." He lay down on my couch, propping his head up on his palm. "What's been keeping you so busy lately anyway? I was always under the impression your life was lackadaisical."

I brought the refilled bowl back to the table. Chuckling, I remarked, "Wow, what a big word for someone with such a tiny brain."

"Fuck you," he said as he smacked my head with a pillow.

I stretched my legs beneath the table, resting back on my hands. "If you must know, I'm attempting adulthood and trying to find a job."

It wasn't an outright lie. Mark was helping me put together a résumé, even though he was as clueless as I was. And when I wasn't sneaking around with him, I was applying to different places.

But for the most part, I had been neglecting Ten. Over the past three months, we'd gotten together twice. Before Mark, that number would've hit the double-digits. Instead, I stayed out late with my secret boyfriend, too busy, too blinded to be with Ten.

Mark had mentioned how strange things felt around Ten — he thought he'd burst and confess everything. Now, as my stomach twisted, I knew how he felt. No wonder Mark was so relieved when they switched roommates.

I hated keeping a secret from Ten. If anyone would understand how imperative it was to keep things under wraps, it was Ten. But I just couldn't bring myself to tell him.

It had little to do with Ten himself, and more to do with my fears. I was afraid to hurt him, to announce my betrayal, to admit I had broken his promise.

Ten beamed at me. "What? You're abandoning your mooching lifestyle? Will the world be able to handle this new order?"

I grabbed a pillow and hit him square in the face. Laughing, we got into an intense pillow fight. And everything felt normal.

For a moment, I fooled myself into believing I could do this — I could maintain my friendship with Ten and my relationship with Mark

For a moment, I fooled myself into believing I could do this — I could maintain my friendship with Ten and my relationship with Mark. I could keep my secrets.

But you can't have all the benefits without some loss. And I was about to lose.