Prologue

Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide

▁▂▃▅▆▇▉▊▆▃▂▁

As soon as I approached the pedestrian crossing, the red light immediately came on. This is what I call bad luck! Having exhaled from powerlessness, I began to beat my toe on the asphalt.

An enormous machine called New York doesn't spare anyone: who was late - he was late.

Unfortunately, I am always late.

Finally, the green light came on, and I rushed on. When you are often late, you involuntarily get used to walking fast. I adjust the sleeve of my coat and look at my watch: I have exactly five minutes. It's so long to go to Stark Tower! I accelerate my step and miraculously skip into the green light.
I flew into the tower like a bullet and, out of breath, stop at the security desk.

''Your pass, miss.''

''Come on, Jon, it's me,'' I straighten a loose strand and try to smile sweetly ''Your good friend! Come on, man, Stark is quartering me.''

''You can't forget the pass so often, Y/N! You know that I shouldn't pass you without him!'' Jon began to mumble something about "you should be more responsible", "I'm not allowed" and "blame yourself."

However, oddly enough, Stark passed me inside, and soon he would reprimand me with his pertinent jokes.

''Pass her already!'' suddenly appeared a hologram from which nobody else spoke, like Tony Stark. ''Miss Y/l/n promises not to be late again and blah-blah-blah. Can you remind me? I forgot what did you promise him last week.''

''Oh shut up!'' I try to hide a smile, but, as it seems, this is extremely unconvincing. I already pressed the button in the elevator, more or less calmly to get to the 86th floor when someone shouted at me:

''Wait! Hold the door!'' I press the button several times so that the elevator door doesn't close.

''Oh, hello, Pepper!'' I am trying to calm mad breath from fast walking and smooth my hair while looking in the mirror.

''Y/n!'' she barely puts her arm around me and pulls away. ''What, are you late too?''

''Has our always responsible Pepper today changed herself?" the numbers on display flashed at a terrible speed until we finally came out on the right floor.

This is precisely the laboratory every scientist dreams of. Huge, stylish and with a bunch of all sorts of lotions. Iron Man, Captain America, and another girl with a guy unfamiliar to me have already gathered here.

''And here is your Y/n I-Wouldn't-Be-Late-Again- Y/l/n!''

''It'll be better if you would give me a report on the latest experiment than to grovel here with your jokes.'' Tony gave me a tablet on which all the data was located. It is not the first month that we have been fighting to grow new limbs to people in exchange for lost ones. Five years ago, such a thought would seem ridiculous and impossible to everyone, and now we are doing it seriously.

''What kind of experiment, if it's not a secret?'' Pepper sat on a small chair and watched the scenery outside with interest.

"We cut off Tony's finger and now we are trying to grow a new one," the captain snapped into a fist, and Tony rolled his eyes.

''What?'' Pepper seems to have believed it.

''You still need to practice your flashing words, Rogers. Now he will torment me until the end of the day, at least. Pepper, you live with me not the first year. Time to get used with this atmosphere.'' said Stark.

''You know what?'' the girl took the bag and headed for the elevator. ''Stay here with your scientific jokes alone.''

''Hey, Pepper!'' I tried to call her but to no avail. I don't understand why she is so nervous.

The experiment, unfortunately, really failed. We conducted tests on a rabbit with congenital abnormalities - he was born without one paw. As a result, he has grown a second tail. Well, success too.

''You stand by each other.'' Steve came up to me and patted the top of my head. Now the hairstyle is precisely spoiled.

''Rogers!'' I offended snort and began to lick hair again. "Argh, why?"

"Stop arguing," Tony finished the skirmish between me and the Captain, "There is an addition to our team. Meet, these are Maximoff twins.''

I looked at both. At first glance, I couldn't say that they are twins, but if you look closely, the similarity is indisputable.

All the time I chatted with the members of the Avengers, they just stood by and watched. I have such a gift, perhaps, I don't know what to call it, but I guess the character well, just by looking at the person.

The girl seemed sensible and sedate, which cannot be said about her brother. I literally felt this mad energy around him. I also wanted to run somewhere near him. He seemed impulsive.

"Wanda," the girl held out her hand for a handshake. Oh my days, she's so cute!

"Pietro," the guy shook my hand, too, looking straight into my eyes.

Something struck me in them. Probably the fact that I have never seen the confusion of so many feelings among any one person. In these eyes, there was also love for her sister, and fear, and anxiety, and endless movement, and simple fatigue.

''My name is Y/n Y/l/n. Well, what is your super ability?'' I addressed to Wanda.

"Well, scientists from HYDRA called my ability 'magic of chaos.' I can penetrate the consciousness of people; I own telekinesis."

''Is that so?'' I flipped through her biography on the tablet, also listening in parallel. ''Interesting. And you?''

''Superhuman speed,'' and also superhuman modesty. I'm reading about these two. Pietro nearly died.

''What is your ability? They took you not because you are smart, am I right?''

"At midnight, I turn into a werewolf-gorilla and steal bananas in supermarkets," from my tone they could think that I was serious. My ability is quite ... specific.

"She's joking," Stark took me by the shoulders and, making a tragic face, continued: "In fact, in fits of anger, she shoots lasers from her eyes.''

''So what's my task?'' I immediately realised that the twins were brought here not just to meet.

"They have some ... ability problems. While Banner is not there, we still do not advance in our research, and you can well help the twins to expand their abilities."

I sighed and nevertheless agreed. Something attracted me to these two. Perhaps the fact that they are very similar to me.

''Good. We will meet tomorrow at the same time, but for now, I will prepare all the necessary equipment.''

Banner by TaintedMiracle