Midnight Blues

Flug checked the time.

11:30

He sighed. He was so tired, but every time he would try and go to sleep, either he couldn't get comfortable, or the fear of nightmares consumed him, making him scared to fall asleep.

So here he was, at 11:30 at night, still working on the line of gadgets and weapons he promised Black Hat.

"Okay....we got.... the bubble gun ray....." he glanced at a small metal gun with a laser beam-like tip and charging rings.
"We have.... the confusion ray..."
He glanced at another small gun with a little spiral marked on the trigger.

"Aaaaand...."

He shifted his gaze to a small box with an antennae sticking out of it.

"The hero tracker...." he sighed in relief.
"All done..."

Suddenly, a vase crashed behind him. Flug squeaked and whirled around to see Dementia, frozen beside a shattered vase with a nervous smile. "Ahah....uh.....sorry Flug."

"No you're not."

She snickered. "Yeah. You're right!"

"Dementia, get out."

"I just wanna see what you're up to! Quit being so uptight!!!" She scampered over, eyeing the hero tracker carefully.

"Dont touch anything!!!" Flug hissed at her as he grabbed a broom to clean up the broken bits of vase.

But it was either too late, or Dementia didnt really care. She had picked up the hero tracker, turned it in her hands a bit....

And dropped it.

Flug didnt even have to turn around. Just the clunk and shatter of the metal and glass in the tracker made his heart drop.

He whirled around, burning tears filling his eyes under his bag.
"DEMENTIA!!! WHAT THE HELL DID I TELL YOU?!" Flug tried not to curse, but this infuriated him to the point where he didnt care what he said.

Dementia just stared at him, wide eyed.
"....I....I'm sorry, Flug, I just-"

"NO! I DONT WANNA FUCKING HEAR IT!!" Flug threw down the broom and dropped to his knees beside his broken device, frantically trying to salvage what he could. But nothing was whole, the device was shattered. His tears soaked through his bag, making it soggy.

Flug picked up the broken bits of his device, his hands shaking uncontrollably, and the tremble soon spread to his whole body.

He stared at his ruined invention. He felt the rage bubble up inside him like it never had before. Hours. Days. Weeks. All spent on this damn device. And for what? For it to be broken.

"Get out of my lab," he whispered hoarsely.

"B-but-"

"GET OUT! OF MY LAB!" Flug whirled around and pointed straight to the door. His paper bag was soggy and falling apart, just enough to show his angry snarl from underneath.

Dementia whimpered, tears of her own filling her eyes, and she turned tail and shot out of the lab, sobbing hysterically.

Flug didnt care. He didnt care at all at this point. He didnt care about his bag. The device he had spent countless weeks working on, sometimes missing a meal or several hours of sleep working on it, was ruined.

He was upset. No, he was angry. Infuriated. He was so infatuated with his stirring emotions that he barely heard his boss's voice at his doorway.

"FLUG! What was that crashing sound?!" He demanded.

Flug stood up. He stared straight at Black Hat with a dull expression. He walked up to him, and past him.

"I can't do this anymore," he murmured coldly to Black Hat as he walked past.

Black Hat glanced back at him questioningly. Dementia had shot past his office in hysterics, crying a river, after he had gotten up to investigate the crash. She had almost knocked him over.

He glanced to the lab. He noticed the shattered device and growled. He whipped around.

"FLUG, YOU BASTARD! GET BACK IN HERE AND-"

But he realized that he wasnt talking to anybody. Flug was gone.

He hissed under his breath. He listened close, hearing shower water turning on.
Black Hat glanced back at the broken tracker and sighed. He would let Flug calm down first before investigating further. But something seemed off about the man today.

And Black Hat was going to find out what.