Puzzled

Black Hat slowly sat down in his office chair, staring off at nothing, drumming his fingers on his desk in deep thought.

He was angry at Flug, but why didn't he punish him? Or hit him? Or yell at him? Nothing had ever stopped him before, and he didn't understand why it would now.

He was still shocked from what Flug had said to him. He had never seen such courage and confidence in the scientist. He was usually timid, and too nervous to ever argue with anybody, especially Black Hat. So this was puzzling to him.

He had to admit, he was impressed.

BH then remembered how drained the doctor looked. Even his voice sounded tired, he would occasionally let out a yawn in the middle of a conversation with Black Hat, but he had never took notice to it much. He sometimes even scolded him for being rude, but he never took the time to study the doctors face for any of the exhaustion he had seen earlier.

If Flug hadn't been talking and moving, BH would presume he was dead by the way he looked.

Maybe he was overdoing it....

He quickly pushed down the thought, mentally gagging. No, he was not overdoing it! He was a villain, and villains never show mercy!

Or so, at least he thought. Now, he wasn't so sure anymore.

All of this thinking made his head hurt. He sighed and got back up, pushing his chair back, and headed to the door, rubbing his temples with his hands. He opened the door and peered out.

The first thing that caught his eye was Flug sitting down in the opposing hallway, with Dementia next to him. She was sniffling, and streaks of her eye liner were running down her cheeks from under her eyes. Flug had his hand on her shoulder and was staring at the ground. He was talking to her in a low voice, but loud enough for Black Hat to be able to listen in.

"...I'm sorry I yelled at you.....you know I didn't mean it....right?"

"It's alright....I kinda deserved it for breaking that thingy...."

....so it WAS Dementia.... Black Hat raised an eyebrow as he listened in.

"No....y-you didn't.... well...I mean, you kinda did, but..."

Dementia playfully punched him, but a bit hard. "Rude!"

"OW!!!" Flug shrieked, holding his arm.

"Oops....sorry, Flug......"

"No you're not...."

"Yeah. You're right." She cackled.

Black Hat sighed. He didn't necessarily feel bad about wrongly accusing Flug, but he didn't feel good about it for some reason, either. He didn't like it. He didn't know what to do with these emotions, so he routinely pushed them down to the blackest pits of his teensy, tiiiiiny soul.

But the emotion seemed to shoot back up. He snarled and shook his head dismissively.

"Its not even emotion, idiot. You're a demon. Emotion is irrelevant to you." He was talking to himself now. He felt insane. Black Hat hissed and shook his head again, turning and heading back to his office.

But he couldn't help but sneak a peek at Flug before he closed the door....