Chapter 1: What was Sought

Prince Lucian gazed up at the mighty tower. He couldn't believe it. He had begun to think that after nearly a year of searching, the quest was some foolish child's fairytale. Yet, here it was, the Tower of Nearness.

It was bigger than he thought. There was a painful twinge in his neck from looking up the endless spire. Even though it had been two days since he arrived and set up camp, it still amazed him that he'd finally, finally found it.

On his journey, he had discovered just why it was named the Tower of Nearness. It always seemed closer than it actually was. Every time he thought it was just a day's ride away, it seemed to retreat. 

Yet, he kept chasing after it; chasing after the legend. This quest was his final hope at proving to his kingdom that he could do it; that his father made the right choice in naming him, his successor.

He still remembered the day the new legend had first spread to their little kingdom. Ten years ago, He was a fresh-faced sixteen years old, playing at swords when his friend, Jeremy, repeated the legend to him.

The Tower of Nearness is longer empty,
A princess from afar now resides within,
Cursed to stay there for all her days,
To rescue her, one battle to win,
Against her Keeper, the Dragon Ioin of Gywim.

He hadn't thought much of it at the time. To him, it was just another piece of interesting gossip that would do its rounds and then fade into obscurity. 

And it did, but like most myths and legends it never truly went away. Every now and then it resurfaced with new details and different interpretations. It changed as much as the weather did. 

There was one adjustment that had him intrigued.

For the hero, strong and brave
Renown and reward shall await,
If the princess he should save
And thereby change her fate.

He had no need of gold, but renown... it would help him to prove that he was every bit a king. He just wished he felt it.

He scowled at himself. Now wasn't the time for such thoughts. He returned his attention to the Tower and its supposed occupant.

It was quiet. Very quiet. A sudden thought occurred to him. Nobody knew the age of the princess. What if she had died from old age? His thoughts raced. Or had a heart attack? What if he was too late?

'No!' He chastised himself. He couldn't think negatively about this. She had to be up there. If she was old... well, he would cross that bridge when he got to it. 

"Princess..." He began but then stopped. He didn't know her name. What was wrong with him? He went on this quest with absolutely no preparation. He had visions of the end goal but had no clue how to make it into a reality.

Hopelessness started to creep around his shoulders like a black cloak. Did he honestly believe he was going to fight and kill a dragon? He was a fool. Worse than that, he was an impulsive fool! Idiot! Idiot! How could he lead a kingdom when he couldn't even complete a quest?

"Come on, Lucian! This isn't the time for a pity party!" He muttered angrily to himself. He wasn't one for self-indulgence. Move forward. Dust the dirt off your feet. That was his way. 

"PRINCESS!" He cupped his hands to amplify his voice. There was no answer. He strained to try and hear or see something, anything, but there was nothing. 

However, he was determined. He would rescue her and he would prove himself.
He started shouting again.