Chapter 6: What Quest was Asked

Clang, Clang, CLANG!

Someone's murder by a brass bell was what awakened Lucian with a startle. He shot up, sword in hand, gulping in giant breathes of icy morning air.

"Oh! Good! You're awake!" Saren said cheerily from her tower.

"Yes, because you woke me..." he muttered as his eyes fixated accusingly on the brass pan and ladle in her hands.

"What's that?"

"Nothing!"

"Oookay..." she drew out, "Well, it's good that you're up. The witch still hasn't come returned. You may have time to gather the next thing we need for the spell."

He perked up. The spell, of course! The faster he could break the spell and free the princess, the better. Although he contemplated the breathtaking surroundings, he had the passing thought that if he stayed here for very long, he might actually miss the place.

"Lucian! Are you listening?" He could have been mistaken, but Saren sounded almost piqued. He'd never really seen a princess, other than his sister, so willingly show her annoyance. He found it a pleasant change of pace. Usually, they affected a style of grace and soft-spoken elegance.

"Erm... yes?"

He watched and waited as she gathered herself.

"There's a cave not far from the Tower," she began, "in it are some rare lilies. They only bloom once every fortnight. You'll need to gather some, maybe around ten; however, they have to all be the same!"

"As you ask, so it shall be done." He said and started getting ready.

"I feel I must warn you that the dragon is particularly fond of that cave, so you must be on guard."

He hesitated, his belt hanging limp in his hand, "Has anyone else ventured there?"

"What do you mean?" She asked sweetly.

"Surely, I'm not the first to try and rescue you."

Did she hear him? She had gone very quiet. He inhaled and was about to repeat himself louder when she finally replied.

"Yes, but they have all come back unsuccessful." Her tone was guarded, almost like there was more to what her words meant.

His thoughts turned to the dragon. He'd only ever heard of it in rumor and rhyme, but that eerie feeling he had yesterday brought it more to life. He had half a mind to run, however, if he could be the first to be successful that would greatly help him and his cause. His people would have to believe in him then... He would believe in himself...

He steeled himself and started walking. He would face the dragon and free the princess and somehow survive the process.

"Lucian," Saren halted him by calling out to him.

He turned back to look at her. She seemed to be amused at something. Himself, he had a feeling.

She was pointing out in the opposite direction.

"It's that way."

Lucian's cheeks grew heated and he headed turned to follow the direction of her finger.

"Stay safe!" he heard her holler as he approached the forest. He gulped, why didn't he pick an easier quest? One in which he could just do one heroic act and then head on home.

He entered the forest, promising himself some kind of reward when he got back.

He was surprised to discover that the journey to the cave was short and uneventful. He stood still and contemplated the entrance. He wished for a torch to see anything beyond his own two feet.

"Come on," he whispered to himself, "Do it now or don't do it at all. You don't have time for dawdling."

Casting one last regretful, longing look at the peaceful, sunny, forest, he took a deep breath and headed into the cave.