Chapter 9: What was Discovered

He glared at the drizzling, pewter coloured sky. He'd been stuck in the village for the past four days. Two of those days had been solely occupied by bargaining with Mary-ann.

Mary-ann had not been what Lucian had expected. An occurrence that he was becoming used to the longer he stayed near the Tower. Mary-ann was not the sturdy, middle-aged woman, he had first presumed to meet. She was a young, petite blonde with a fierce attitude and an iron will. He was sure that had she'd been a warrior; she'd have won all the wars.

Seren didn't tell him how much to sell the figurines for so he thought he would try his luck at getting them to go for the highest he could. Lucian smiled to himself. He was proud of himself. Bargaining with Mary-ann was no small feat, she was a two-foot tyrant, but he'd done it. Heck, he'd even had fun with it.

On the third day, he'd found the orphanage that Seren wanted him to give the money too. Lucian had been so moved by their gratitude that he added some of his own funds. Well, actually it was the look on of the little children's faces when the matron told them they'd be getting treats. Their wide smiles captured his heart and squeezed it. Their eyes shone with unadulterated delight and their cries of delight brought out a smile from him. They made him feel like a real hero. It was a testament to one of his mother's teachings. "Those who have should give what they can to those who haven't."

He had to admit, it felt good to be in a position where he could offer help. However, he couldn't let himself be distracted from his main quest, saving Seren. He was getting close now. Soon, he'd free her and prove himself a worthy heir!

And that was the reason he had to get back to the tower as soon as possible. If the witch or dragon returned he didn't want Seren to get into trouble. The rain had thus far been in the way of getting there but he had no choice. He had to go or risk losing it all.

He'd spent the night before writing letters to his family; informing them that he was safe and that he planned to return home soon. He'd had no news about his father's state of health so he inquired after that, but no news meant good news, didn't it? When Lucian had left home, his father had to be ill, but knowing his father as he did, he would overcome it with brute force of will.

He sent those off that morning and now, as he contemplated the slate grey clouds that smothered out the sunlight, he had to decide whether or not he could reach the tower before another storm came. He looked in the direction of the tower. From his position, he could just make out the top of it. It was a long journey, even on horseback.

Did he even really have a choice?

He sighed and saddled up Brute, his horse. Lucian hauled himself up and sat upon him. He nudged him forward and started on his way back to the Tower and Seren with the wind blowing against him.

***

Seren hummed to herself as she picked vegetables. She planned to make a nice hearty stew for dinner. Dinner for one, she thought wryly. She knew that Lucian wasn't coming back. It'd had been four days. She assumed that he had seen that rescuing her was a hopeless cause and went on to find a different quest.

It was for the best. In a way, she did miss him; even though they'd known each other for a very short time. She could easily believe that he was one of those easy to like people. She was honest enough to admit to herself that she had enjoyed his company, but they were from very different worlds. He was a prince and she was well, a former princess.

She'd also missed her solitude. She liked to talk when she was thinking. It helped her process whatever was going on in her head. So, she sat in her garden pulling out vegetables muttering to herself. A particular carrot decided to stay in its spot and refused to budge despite Seren's effort.